News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

TV Series Use By Dates.

Started by The Magic Pudding., January 05, 2023, 08:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding.

So Tom is watching DS9

Quote from: Asmodean on January 05, 2023, 07:18:38 AMAh, yes! Now I want to re-watch it myself.

...And Stargate SG1. And Atlantis.

Do they still please?
Does their ability to please depreciate, or rust or something?
Does the pleasiness have a half life, ten years maybe?
Is this a golden age of TV and now stuff will age better than 20th century stuff?

If I watched those series I'd have to apply a vicious entertain me or I skip you policy to each episode, especially SG1.
I do have the Dell laptop Samantha Carter used to defeat the Goa'uld if anyone wants to make an offer.
I couldn't get into the XFiles again, failed to rewatch Buffy.
I hope I can do the IT Crowd and Black Books again, it's been a while.

Tank

It's an interesting thought. Scifi tends not to age well because of its predictive nature.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Stargate was good before that abomination of a series with all them talking heads and nothing but. I don't even remember what that one was called. I mean, the evil genius had some potential, but... Not really.

Stargate is in a way an alternate reality franchise (Which they explore it in several episodes and story arks, in fact) so I don't think it has a best-before date as such. DS9... In a way, yes. Star Trek future tech largely originates from the sixties and much of it is, as such, a bit rubbish. Still, some stories are really good.

Star Wars was murdered by Disney - I don't really have that much more to say about that universe.

Battlestar Galactica... I never managed to get sucked in.

...What was that one with the... Ah! Farscape. Yes? No? Yes, I think so. That one was fun, but short-lived. A bit like Stargate in several ways.

Then there are the classics. Starship Troopers is about duty more than it is about aliens, so sort-of timeless in that sense. War of the Worlds? (The original one, mostly) Some others based on the works of them "fathers" of fantasy/sci-fi? Hmm... They have a value of their own for being classics, but are hopelessly out-dated in terms of vision. (As in, the author's predictive capability as seen in hindsight - not the "in-universe" vision of the story)

I think that fate is what awaits the best of the last and the current generation of fiction, eventually. I don't think it will "expire," as such, but become... Classic.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Stargate, Star Trek, they used to make 20+ episode series, dross is to be expected.
The Stargate lets remember the past episodes episodes were disgruntling.

Fk, is disgruntling a word?
What? no, surely not, it mustn't be.
Of course it is, to put in a state of disgruntlement, I wouldn't have used unless it was proper.

Tank

Gruntled. Pleased, satisfied and contented.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

The video isn't available in the UK :(

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

VPNing, its The Twilight Zone (Classic): The Masks - You're Caricatures

Can't watch it, have to get back to Bilbo, Smaug has just woken, the Arkenstone has been spotted.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2023, 11:14:23 AMGruntled. Pleased, satisfied and contented.
Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2023, 11:14:23 AMGruntled. Pleased, satisfied and contented.

I think "gruntled" is the most un-onomatopoeic word I know.
Does anyone have a more so one?

Tank

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on January 06, 2023, 10:10:21 AMDisgruntled

I don't agree with that, disgruntled works because it's got gruntled in it.
The dis doesn't accomplish a flip, it accentuates the negativeness, if anything.