News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Things You Would Change in Your Past

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, January 06, 2023, 08:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Asmodean on January 09, 2023, 07:22:11 AMThus, if I do something regrettable, I don't find myself wishing I could take it back or turn back time and make some changes to how the events unfolded - I either attempt to fix the arising problems, or I do not. What else is there?

Assume there is something that you cannot fix. Are the following possible "what else's" on the table?

1. Use the experience as a teacher to never do that thing again;
2. Use the regret as a motivation for being a better person in general; or
3. Use the pain, sorrow, etc. as a warning sign for others not to follow the same path. See it as an increase in the general wisdom of life that you can impart to others.

No one

Nope!

It would be better for everyone if i never existed!

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 09, 2023, 01:20:18 PMAssume there is something that you cannot fix. Are the following possible "what else's" on the table?
It's difficult to answer without an example of a situation, and it's difficult to find one without jumping to extreme hypotheticals, but I shall try.

Quote1. Use the experience as a teacher to never do that thing again;
No. I'd use that experience to hopefully do the thing better the next time I find myself with the need to. Put hand on stove? Painful blisters? No regrets - just a oven mitt next time. That's... Pretty much how I tick.

Quote2. Use the regret as a motivation for being a better person in general; or
Use the experience towards that end - yes, probably. Use the regret? I... Fail to compute.

I mean, if a mistake was made, you can quantify it and take certain actions to imporve future outcomes. You'd be using the parameters of said mistake though, not... Whether or not you felt bad about it..?

I suppose you could say that is using regret for self-improvement, but... I'd just call it looking forward.

Now, if it was not a mistake... In my personal opinion, regrets in such instances stem from poor planning. Oh, there are still valuable lessons to learn, I just don't see how you would learn them by... What? Wishing to turn back time?

Quote3. Use the pain, sorrow, etc. as a warning sign for others not to follow the same path. See it as an increase in the general wisdom of life that you can impart to others.
It's situational. I would use the experience, sure. I think that's the most interesting thing here. As in, imagine that you caused the thing, using your feelings and emotional fabric, rather than how I do or might have felt about the whole situation.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: No one on January 09, 2023, 01:46:26 PMNope!

It would be better for everyone if i never existed!

Ah, come on, man! We enjoy your humor. And, your general pessimism is a counterweight to irrational exuberance (to borrow from Alan Greenspan). If you never existed we would be deprived of that. I don't think you really believe what you said.

No one

More than i have ever felt anything!

There is absolutely nothing i hate more than the disgusting waste of flesh that i am!

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: No one on January 09, 2023, 06:03:18 PMMore than i have ever felt anything!

There is absolutely nothing i hate more than the disgusting waste of flesh that i am!

Sorry you feel that way. That is not how we see you.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 09, 2023, 08:11:25 PM
Quote from: No one on January 09, 2023, 06:03:18 PMMore than i have ever felt anything!

Sorry you feel that way. That is not how we see you.

Me neither.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Anne D.

Agreed. Whether you want it or not, I'm sending you a virtual hug, No one.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

While your words of gracious understanding are certainly valued, you have obviously mistaken this vile sack of shit for something worthy of compassion. i can assure you, i am not.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: No one on January 14, 2023, 04:13:05 PMWhile your words of gracious understanding are certainly valued, you have obviously mistaken this vile sack of shit for something worthy of compassion. i can assure you, i am not.

Why do you rate yourself a vile sack of shit?
Did you get road raged and squash a bunch of five year olds?
Something worse?

No one

I was being kind. Spend 0.05 seconds with me, and all will be confirmed. There is nothing in existence as vile or worthless as this disgusting, repulsive, waste ofspace.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: No one on January 15, 2023, 09:38:18 AMI was being kind. Spend 0.05 seconds with me, and all will be confirmed. There is nothing in existence as vile or worthless as this disgusting, repulsive, waste ofspace.

Maybe :en route:
You've publicly expressed desire for anal sex with some female celebrity who doesn't know you and may not like anal anyway. I  consider that uncouth, I give you points for vile, disgusting and repulsive there.
Yet you dislike rap, which dislike is laudable.

What if there is a someone who shares  your first loathsome trait but not your second somewhat redeeming quality?  They could be conceivably worse than you.

billy rubin

bobby mcferron did rap in the old days

that was okay. before it got mean

i dont like the gangsta stuff

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."