News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What books have you read more than twice?

Started by The Magic Pudding., December 14, 2022, 11:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

I like my books like my women, short but feisty. Twice visited, twice as done.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

Books should read like silk or sex.

MarcusA

I visited The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway twice, and found it even better the second time.

billy rubin

that book does grow on  you.

a lost world.

set the function, not the mechanism.

MarcusA

billy rubin

tuning for speed by phil irving

he was antipodal

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: billy rubin on June 13, 2023, 12:49:09 AMtuning for speed by phil irving

he was antipodal

And hence never existed, throw that book away Billy, throw it, throw it far away.

billy rubin

Icarus

Recently discovered a book in my garage that I had not used for years. It is a Brit book with a printing date of 1938. Title: Elementary Practical Mathematics. Sub title: A text book covering the syllabuses of examinations in practical mathematics for the National certificate. The credit lines for the two authors list one of them as a  as "lecturer", The other one is given the title of; "Reader in Geometry".   Brits talk funny but their math, physics, and engineering concepts are damn good.

Fascinating book. Eighty five years old but just as immovably valid as any of today's engineering math books. This book is a treasure that I appreciate.

I also have a book printed in 1907. The title is; Practical Illustrated Treatise on automobiles. The introductory page says that the book is " a practical treatise on the theory,construction, operation and care and management of all forms of Automobiles".Some of the drawings are...what is the word... Precious. The drawings are more than well done and they show the bits and pieces of the "Modern automobile" that was, at that time, referred to as a "motor carriage".

Billy may be pleased to know that the book contains much detail about "gasoline Motor Cycles".

That book is also a treasure. I hope that whoever ends up with it after I am gone, will also appreciate all the effort that went into the development of the automobile and its engines. More than that, I want the new owner to see the book as I do, a 116 + year old treasure.