News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

A fusion power milestone - the good, the bad and the hype

Started by Asmodean, December 13, 2022, 11:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

It appears that a team of scientists are about to announce reaching a milestone in fusion power. Various media outlets are already out with reckless buzzwords about "saving the planet" and such like.

QuoteScientists with the U.S. Department of Energy will announce a breakthrough in nuclear fusion later today.

The achievement came at the National Ignition Facility (NIF), a $3.5 billion laser complex at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California. For more than a decade, NIF has struggled to meet its stated goal of producing a fusion reaction that generates more energy than it consumes.
Michigan Radio

QuoteThe announcement expected on Tuesday has the scientific community abuzz as nuclear fusion is considered by some to be the energy of the future, particularly as it produces no greenhouse gases, leaves little waste, and has no risk of nuclear accidents.

It also has the potential to one day accelerate the planet's shift from fossil fuels, which are the major contributors to climate change, but has long struggled with daunting challenges.

Here is a look at what nuclear fusion is and some of the difficulties in turning it into the cheap, carbon-free energy source that scientists believe it can be:
MSN

At least some are more realistic about the time frame. Fusion energy has been "20 years away" for the past what..? 40-50 years? Still, it is indeed very cool if they have managed to squeeze the system for more useful energy than they put in. Will it be in time to "save the planet?" Probably depends on who you ask and what they mean by "save" - or whether indeed they mean that it needs saving. I think it may be somewhat of a horse shoe situation - one of them extinction rebellion ne'er-do-wells would probably agree with a climate change denier in that it won't, though for opposing reasons. The rest of us..? I give it a "nah+" to "mmyeah-" The tech though. The tech is cool.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Maybe instead of 30 years away it is now only 20 years away.

:frolic:

Asmodean

OR a new 20-year milestone is 20 years away while commercial application is 20x years off, for x > 1.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see commercial fusion power generation in my lifetime, but... I'm in no hurry to sell my diesel-powered car yet.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

That it is. Next, if someone who is not a clown (Which may or may not be a jab at Musk) could try to get the whole colonising space thing going...

These are, if nothing else, interesting times.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

I give space a week. After human colonizing, it will be a cesspool. Like a methed out Detroit on a 7 day speedball binge!

Asmodean

Quote from: No one on December 13, 2022, 12:55:39 PMI give space a week. After human colonizing, it will be a cesspool. Like a methed out Detroit on a 7 day speedball binge!
I'd visit it. :smilenod: Bring on the intergalactic hive of scum and villainy, I say!
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Asmodean

Indeed. The Asmo could even be one of those scummy villains, using His Jedi powers for evil, such as convincing authorities that it is, in fact, not the Asmo behind that fake moustache.

....Also, the 'stache is totally real. [waves hand]
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

It is good news. Maybe, just maybe, we can find a solution to all the crap we are spewing into the atmosphere. Hopefully in time to avoid killing the earth.

Icarus

Oh goody. We can have cheaper energy so that we can easily make more plastic items with which to fuck up the oceans,landfills and the atmosphere.

:geezer!:

billy rubin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 13, 2022, 10:58:39 PMIt is good news. Maybe, just maybe, we can find a solution to all the crap we are spewing into the atmosphere. Hopefully in time to avoid killing the earth.

i commend your optimism

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on December 14, 2022, 12:29:44 AMi commend your optimism
Hey, someone has to provide a counterbeat to that professional-realist-gone-doomer The Asmo, right?  ;)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Asmo:
Indeed. The Asmo could even be one of those scummy villains, using His Jedi powers for evil, such as convincing authorities that it is, in fact, not the Asmo behind that fake moustache.

....Also, the 'stache is totally real. [waves hand]

.....and you'd be the Greyest of the Grey Jedi?