News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Brittney Griner

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, December 08, 2022, 04:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

She was released from a Russian prison today, so that is good news. Some sage advice - stay out of Russia. Some paprika advice - stay out of Hungary.

Tom62

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 08, 2022, 04:58:41 PMShe was released from a Russian prison today, so that is good news. Some sage advice - stay out of Russia. Some paprika advice - stay out of Hungary.

I heard that they exchanged her for an arms dealer, which basically means that the Russians got the better end of the deal.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

they still have other american hostages

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

No one

Exchanging one shooter for another.

Icarus

Ruskies definitely got the better end of the deal. We trade a sports star for an international arms dealer.

One has to wonder whether the arms dealer can help Russia  obtain additional armament.

Asmodean

Yeah... Good for her and all that, however, this is a win for Putin.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 08, 2022, 04:58:41 PMShe was released from a Russian prison today, so that is good news. Some sage advice - stay out of Russia. Some paprika advice - stay out of Hungary.
Indeed. If you do must go to one of them places, however, make sure that you don't bring anything that will get your ass arrested with you.

That said though, Hungary is not bad. At least from what I know, they are no worse at giving foreigners long sentences than Finland.

Personally, I have a few places on the map I'd rather not visit before I die. Somalia, North Korea, both Sudans, Myanmar, cartel war parts of South America, Russia, Haiti, Bangladesh, Belarus, Palestine... A few others. Still, people have been on successful recreational trips to all of them. I think chances are that if you travel properly prepared for your destination that it will be just fine.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Asmodean on December 09, 2022, 07:11:58 AMYeah... Good for her and all that, however, this is a win for Putin.

Indeed. If you do must go to one of them places, however, make sure that you don't bring anything that will get your ass arrested with you.

That said though, Hungary is not bad. At least from what I know, they are no worse at giving foreigners long sentences than Finland.

Personally, I have a few places on the map I'd rather not visit before I die. Somalia, North Korea, both Sudans, Myanmar, cartel war parts of South America, Russia, Haiti, Bangladesh, Belarus, Palestine... A few others. Still, people have been on successful recreational trips to all of them. I think chances are that if you travel properly prepared for your destination that it will be just fine.

Best to avoid Luxembourg too, Ive heard there's an evil megalomaniac bent on its destruction.
Could be any day now, you wouldn't want to be there at the wrong time.

Asmodean

Indeed, although it's better not to tell. would ruin the element of surprise.

...but yes, aaaaany moment now... :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

It was a good trade. The arms dealer got traded, not pardoned. If he turns up and gets caught he goes straight back to prison, where he can be traded again. The appropriate authorities can now watch who the arms dealer interacts with at a fresh starting point. He will act as a catalyst exposing contacts and networks.   
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Tom62

I hope that you are right, but I have zero trust that they can keep him under control. Most likely the merchant of death goes back into his dirty arms business, which will results in hurting and killing more people. I find this trade-off highly irresponsible.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on December 09, 2022, 12:10:01 PMIt was a good trade. The arms dealer got traded, not pardoned. If he turns up and gets caught he goes straight back to prison, where he can be traded again. The appropriate authorities can now watch who the arms dealer interacts with at a fresh starting point. He will act as a catalyst exposing contacts and networks.   

Bout armed terrorists and rebels who killed thousands, including British soldiers and he will likely be back in business very shortly. I don't see how that's a fair trade for a basketball player.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on December 09, 2022, 01:33:16 PMI hope that you are right, but I have zero trust that they can keep him under control. Most likely the merchant of death goes back into his dirty arms business, which will results in hurting and killing more people. I find this trade-off highly irresponsible.

He's been out of the loop for 12 years. I think it was a canny trade off. It's possible he simply paid off people to trade him.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

The word is, if it is true, that a two for one trade was not an option. We will continue to try to trade someone of value to Vladimir, for our guy Paul Whelan.

Ecurb Noselrub

It was him for her, or nothing. What would you have done? Left her there? I'm fine with it. We have charged several Ruskies with crimes today. Maybe we can trade them for Whelan.