News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Books, what is the preferred format now?

Started by The Magic Pudding., November 29, 2022, 01:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding.

Books, what is the preferred format now?

I prefer reading from a cheap tablet, you can set to console and read in the dark.
Sepia contrast if light from that annoying star is seeping through.
I've heaps of nefariously got digi books a few finger movements away.
Going to reread The Rings, going to go the shelf for the paper? No

I might be getting a new person to read to next year, so I pray :)
I've been allocated a day, I think only proper books will do.

Asmodean

I like good old paper for the charm, but rely more heavily on audiobooks for convenience. For instance, it's rather on an ill-advised side to read while driving.

I've never managed to acquire taste for reading books on tablets - dedicated or otherwise.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Still paper. Tried a Kindle. It was Ok but the screen was too small. If I set it to landscape to get the text to a comfortable size I ended up scrolling and losing my place all the time. In portrait the text was too small.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 29, 2022, 07:55:51 PMPaper. Kill more trees.

Actually as the trees are turned into paper the carbon is locked up in the books. Thus books save the planet by causing more trees to be planted. :)

The down side is mature trees that are still growing sequestrate way more carbon from the atmosphere than young saplings per acre. Maybe we could make books from recycled plastic?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Recusant

Have enjoyed audio books immensely while driving, but still mostly read physical books. I got some digital ones and don't mind them, but it's dismaying when the technology goes down.  :(
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on November 29, 2022, 08:07:31 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 29, 2022, 07:55:51 PMPaper. Kill more trees.

Actually as the trees are turned into paper the carbon is locked up in the books. Thus books save the planet by causing more trees to be planted. :)

The down side is mature trees that are still growing sequestrate way more carbon from the atmosphere than young saplings per acre. Maybe we could make books from recycled plastic?

There are forests here in the US that are raised specifically for paper. They harvest at a fairly young age. Mostly conifers. You can drive through Oregon and see vast forests of young trees that were planted by paper companies.

billy rubin

huge ecological deserts, those are.

giant cornfields.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

Not quite, but close. Second and third growth plantations in Oregon are nowhere near as ecologically diverse as old growth forests, and in the first 20 years or so they can approach the sterility of cornfields. However, many of the plantations in Oregon are Douglas fir, and not intended for pulp wood. They are generally not harvested till around 40 years at minimum, by which time some ecological diversity will have developed.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

I shouldn't have called them forests. They really are a plantation, in that sense. There is still plenty of wild forest.

jumbojak

I'm almost strictly audiobooks now. Reading more than an article at a time triggers migraines.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.