News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

World Cup - 2022

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 24, 2022, 12:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Random thoughts:

1. I like upsets. Saudi Arabia over Argentina????  Japan over Germany???  Splendid!!

2. Not sure what to think about the USA and Wales tying. I don't really follow either one. My family came over from Wales to the USA, so OK. I don't expect either to win the cup, anyway.

3. Qatar: too hot, no beer, discrimination and oppression. But I guess FIFA is trying to draw more people into "the beautiful game".

4. Will Brazil win it all? Stay tuned. Another upset would be great!

Asmodean

Didn't some organisation president or some such say something about how he felt all gay and Quatari? Or was that a different sport? In any case, what a weird thing to say, if true, given Quatar's attitudes towards gays. Would also be probably the saddest attempt at virtue-signalling this side of Batwoman... But maybe not as sad as Amazon's post Rings of Power damage control. Maybe.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Improbable result, US team battles England to a draw. Next up, US vs Iran? That match up carries some baggage aside from sports games.

Asmodean

...Is football how the next World War starts, perhaps? :o
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Hoot hoot!  USA won the match 1 to 0. 

The aftermath  showed some degree of sportsmanship toward the Iranians. and Some of that was admirably returned by the Iranian players.

On to the game with Netherlands on Saturday.

Bluenose

Aus (yay!) plays Denmark (boo!) in a few hours, actually in the wee-smalls over here. Australia needs at least a draw to progress to the knockout phase, having beaten Tunisia and being thrashed by the current champions France...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Well England had the appalling match against Wales yesterday (E3, W0). It was such a shame that we (England) had to be the team that sent them home from there first World Cup in over 60 years.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Don't ask me why, but somehow I'm glad that Australia made it to the next round. For tomorrow's matches, I hope that Germany and Belgium will lose.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tom62

My wishes are fulfilled. Belgium and Germany didn't make it to the next round.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Asmodean on December 02, 2022, 11:28:00 AM...So who's winning?

I know there's a bunch of countries that are in a knock-out situation.
There might be others that have done well and don't have take part in that.
From my proud position of almost total ignorance I'd say you can't say who's winning yet.

Tom62

Hurray, the Netherlands won from the USA with 3-1.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Ecurb Noselrub

I saw the final between Argentina and France. Great game.