News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Slavic Native Faith

Started by Recusant, October 26, 2022, 01:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I was reading yet another piece about the war in Ukraine, and noted a reference that I did not recognise. It was stated that many of the senior officers in the Russian mercenary force PMC Wagner claim to be adherents of Rodnovery. Though I have read a number of books on Russia, that was longer ago than I would like to admit.  ;) This Slavic neopaganism has apparently been around since the early/mid 20th century, but became more of a thing after the fall of the Soviet Union. The Wikipedia article is fairly extensive. 

"Slavic Native Faith" | Wikipedia

QuoteThe scholar of religion Alexey Gaidukov has described "Slavic Neopaganism" as a term pertaining to "all quasi-religious, political, ideological and philosophical systems which are based on the reconstruction and construction of pre-Christian Slavic traditions". The scholar of religion Adrian Ivakhiv has defined Rodnovery as a movement which "harkens back to the pre-Christian beliefs and practices of ancient Slavic peoples", while according to the historian and ethnologist Victor A. Shnirelman, Rodnovers present themselves as "followers of some genuine pre-Christian Slavic, Russian or Slavic-Aryan Paganism".

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Next, they'll be calling Western intervention a crusade against Paganism.

...The church of Satan is already to blame, if the local media's re-telling of Russian articles is to be believed. Makes an person wonder; unless you are willing to buy any justification, in which case you are probably equally-willing to buy no justification at all, you'll probably not buy this garbage. Forget skin-deep - it's so transparently bullshit as to be free-floating... Who is this more ridiculous sort of propaganda even for?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.