News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Liz Truss

Started by Tank, October 20, 2022, 02:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Liz Truss becomes the shortest serving PM in UK history at 44 days.
George Canning lasted 119 days and died in office.

Wiki was updated in under 10 minutes of her resignation :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_length_of_tenure
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

What sort of drama did The Asmo miss now?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

A clusterfuck of biblical proportions. I keep humming the Muppet Show theme tune. It has been jaw dropping in its magnitude.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

What she do? (I'm sure I'll get to it in my feeds eventually, but if it can be summarised in a brief sort of fashion..?)

Also, what now? a new round of the same sort of... Thing?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

There will now be a leadership contest for the Conservative party and the winner will be the next PM. Apparently Boris Johnson is considering running! What the living fuck!!!

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on October 20, 2022, 02:44:43 PMWhat she do? (I'm sure I'll get to it in my feeds eventually, but if it can be summarised in a brief sort of fashion..?)

It's too complicated but tl;dr she fucked up on the money markets by pushing through a budget that she would have had to borrow billions to fund.

Asmodean

Ah! Spent the coin she never had, did she?

Return of The Boris, you say? Why, if nothing else, that would be interesting.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on October 20, 2022, 02:56:26 PMAh! Spent the coin she never had, did she?

Return of The Boris, you say? Why, if nothing else, that would be interesting.

It would be interesting for sure. Particularly as there are outstanding police investigations into his behaviour during the Covid lock down!

There is also an outside possibility that only one person dares to stand and if that happens they get the job! If nobody stands then there will be a general election and the Conservative party will be slaughtered.

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on October 20, 2022, 02:53:15 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on October 20, 2022, 02:44:43 PMWhat she do? (I'm sure I'll get to it in my feeds eventually, but if it can be summarised in a brief sort of fashion..?)

It's too complicated but tl;dr she fucked up on the money markets by pushing through a budget that she would have had to borrow billions to fund.

whats the matter with that?

republicans in america do that whenever theyre in power.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Asmodean

Aren't the Dems stereotypically the ones to run up the debt (though absolutely everyone seems to do that?)

...I seem to recall something about that from Bill Maher, from the time before he got Trump-deranged.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Yes, borrowing money from future generations. Always been a great idea. Don't have the money, then why not print some more? And while we are at it, we'll spend the money on some idealistic nonsense and completely ignore the huge inflation that it causes. Prices go up, people are upset and politicians wonder why they are no longer trusted.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

Quote from: Asmodean on October 20, 2022, 07:47:24 PMAren't the Dems stereotypically the ones to run up the debt (though absolutely everyone seems to do that?)

...I seem to recall something about that from Bill Maher, from the time before he got Trump-deranged.

no.

in general, the democrats tax and spend.

but the republicans cut taxes and yet dont cut spending.

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/deficit-by-president-what-budget-deficits-hide-3306151

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on October 20, 2022, 11:38:57 PMno.

in general, the democrats tax and spend.

but the republicans cut taxes and yet dont cut spending.

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/deficit-by-president-what-budget-deficits-hide-3306151
...So surplus and surplus increase under Wilson and Clinton. Deficit or deficit increase under the rest, yielding;

R +33%
D +58%
R +57%
D -01%
R +36%
R +142%
D +36%

I have no idea who's D and who's R in pre-Carter era, but yeah... Bill Maher was wrong. They all suck.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

its a disease of american politics. in general the democrats do a better job.

Asmodean

I suppose one could say that sinking less deeply into debt than someone else may be a sign of a job better done, however, it would be a bit like saying that my kids do better than I, financially, because during MY time, the family debt was ten million, but during theirs, it only increased to fifteen.

...Who's gonna pay it back? Like, ever?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.