News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

One hundred and eighty!!!

Started by Tank, September 27, 2022, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Heh! It looks like it was transmitting a picture just as it smashed into the rock, so the last one ended up like some of my surveillance footage just as the camera goes down.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

It does. The bit I find interesting is the rubble like appearance of the target.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

DART impact images

Quote"I was really worried there was nothing left of Dimorphos" at first, Carnelli told AFP.

The Hera mission, which is scheduled to launch in October 2024 and arrive at the asteroid in 2026, had expected to survey a crater around 10 meters (33 feet) in diameter.

It now looks like it will be far bigger, Carnelli said, "if there is a crater at all, maybe a piece of Dimorphos was just chunked off."

Tank

Dark Lightning

Now we'll have a train of meteors that may actually on a collision course with us.  :???:

Recusant

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 04, 2022, 09:10:12 PMNow we'll have a train of meteors that may actually on a collision course with us.  :???:

:lol:   I admire that determined pessimism.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

I went and read the article about it over at phys.org. It would appear that my pessimism was (thankfully) misplaced. I also read where a lot more ejecta was noted than was expected. I was always told to be careful where I was throwing rocks, when I was a kid. :D

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 04, 2022, 10:46:55 PMI went and read the article about it over at phys.org. It would appear that my pessimism was (thankfully) misplaced. I also read where a lot more ejecta was noted than was expected. I was always told to be careful where I was throwing rocks, when I was a kid. :D

The really interesting thing has been the composition of what was hit. It's appears to be a small agglomeration of dust and rubble brought together by micro-gravity. There is no inherent strength in what is essentially a pile of rubble. What I'd love to know is if this is the norm for asteroids. 

billy rubin

yes.

is an asteroid just a clod of debris weakly held together by gravitation or is it a chunk of solidly consolidated material maybe broken off something bigger?

an impact of either on earth woyld be the same, i think

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Would you rather be hit by a rock or the equivalent weight of sand? Or put it another way one 1,000kg rock or that rock cut into 100,000 pieces. I would think that one rock would make it to ground but the 100,000 pebble would burn up through the atmosphere.

Dark Lightning

billy rubin

could be, but getting hit by a charge of buckshot does as much damage as a bullet

th eburning up part makes sense though

i once watcghed a meterorite break up into chunks over my head. spectacular. i wonder how much ablation a soccer ball-sized piece of stone would undergo

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

A charge of buckshot hitting the ground with an entry speed of many thousands of miles an hour (they won't) is quite different from standing even 100 yards from a shotgun blast. I've seen meteorites much less than the size of a bowling ball that have reached the ground. Those aren't loose aggregates of carbonaceous chondrites, they are chunks of nickel and iron...and left quite a bit of their pre-entry volume in a nice ionization trail across the sky.

Bluenose

Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2022, 07:04:07 PMWould you rather be hit by a rock or the equivalent weight of sand? Or put it another way one 1,000kg rock or that rock cut into 100,000 pieces. I would think that one rock would make it to ground but the 100,000 pebble would burn up through the atmosphere.

Well, the amount of kinetic energy to be transferred to the Earth system would be the same. If the solid rock is big enough to be a cause for concern, the same mass of sand would still have major consequences of the same order of magnitude.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett