News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

citizen surveillance in the west

Started by billy rubin, September 14, 2022, 05:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

hey brits---

QuoteThe Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said no gun was found in the car or the surrounding area and that the car, flagged by an automated system as carrying a weapon, was not owned by Kaba.

^^^this is out of an al jazerra piece about a man named kaba shot by police in london after a car chase.

my question is, what exactly is the "automated system" in use that identified the car-- incorrectly-- as carrying a gun?

london has a more comprehensive citizen surveillance system than any city in the states, so far as i know. we have a gunfire locator that sends police to gps coordinates that have been triangulated by microphones

but what is the automated system can result in me being chased by police because a computer says i have a gun?

al jazerra wont let me link the article

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

heres a link to an american tabloid

https://nypost.com/2022/09/08/uk-rapper-chris-kaba-was-unarmed-when-shot-dead-by-police/

that answered the question, actually

"Officers pursued Kaba in Lambeth, South London just before 10 p.m. on Monday after an automatic license plate camera indicated the vehicle was linked to an armed incident in recent days. The Audi vehicle Kaba was driving was surrounded by two police cars."

it appears the death followed the usual american pattern:

1 black man accosted by police

2 black man is afraid police will kill him, and tries to run away

3 police kill him

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Well it does look like the UK police dropped the ball there. However if an officer discharges their weapon they are automatically suspended (on full pay) and the incident is referred to the police complaints authority. 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

we give them promotions over here

most recntly here a man drove his car into a ditch, late at night. he called the police for assistance, and the police arrived, and killed him.

Tom62

I thought that usual American pattern was the following ;)
1. black man has a long history of using drugs and committing  violent crimes
2. he runs away from a crime scene
3. the police arrests him
4. he tries to grab the gun of a policeman; violently resists his arrest or decides to make a run for it.
5. despite several warnings he doesn't stop and the police shoots him
6. The next day peaceful protesters loot the stores and burn down the town
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Quote from: Tom62 on September 14, 2022, 08:11:54 PMI thought that usual American pattern was the following ;)
4. he tries to grab the gun of a policeman; violently resists his arrest or decides to make a run for it.

Wow.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

Quote from: Tom62 on September 14, 2022, 08:11:54 PMI thought that usual American pattern was the following ;)

thats what the tabloids often say.

the most recent black man in the news arrested by the police was a priest watering his neighbors flowerbed while he was out of town.

in america you can be shot for being black no matter what else is going on.

Recusant

Sorry that the media you apparently base your understanding on are so inadequate, except for inculcating prejudice.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken