News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Started by Asmodean, September 08, 2022, 07:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

Quote from: Asmodean on September 10, 2022, 04:28:59 PMYeah, I honestly don't see the Commonwealth falling apart with her passing. From what I've seen of His Majesty king Charles III so far, he seems up to the task, and the Commonwealth is... More than the crown, practically speaking.

what exactly are his tasks?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

It is, of course, for the British people to determine whether or not the Monarchy is worth salvaging. Obviously, we decided to go our own way without a king/queen. But folks in the UK may decide that the main worth of the Monarchy is being a living symbol of the nation, its history, and its culture. Here, all our symbols are inanimate. In the UK, they have a living, breathing human being who embodies the nation. The physical tasks I know about are mainly ceremonial, but being an influence for unity (which any nation needs to survive) may be the greatest task of all. Elizabeth accomplished that, for the most part. We will see about Charles. We may see a more streamlined Monarchy in the future. Time will tell.

Tank

The queue to pay respects to Queen Elizabeth II has reached 9 miles long.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Watching the funeral of QEII.
Watching history in the making.

Like it or not we Brits do pomp better than anybody.

The god bothering grates on my nerves, as you'd expect.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

I've watched a bit of live coverage by one of our papers. There certainly is pomp and God-bothering.

Hm... A life worth celebrating, I suppose. History, and a lot of it, certainly. Record-breaking attendance... Yes. They say funerals may star the dead, but are for the living. When I die, I thoroughly plan on getting my corpse-ass cremated and the ashes disposed down some chute. Might fertilize some stinging nettles or poison oak or some such. Now that's a worthwhile death.

...What am I on about? Ah, yes, the Commonwealth!

What coverage I saw presented the whole affair as dignified, but a "wee-bit..." Ostentatious, I suppose? Befitting of a royal death after seventy years on the throne, I suspect, but still. I mean, the man-hours alone...
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on September 19, 2022, 11:36:38 AMLike it or not we Brits do pomp better than anybody.

No question about it: in the Pomp Olympics you win the Gold and hold all records. In the US we play a Willie Nelson tune and then get drunk.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 19, 2022, 05:04:17 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 19, 2022, 11:36:38 AMLike it or not we Brits do pomp better than anybody.

No question about it: in the Pomp Olympics you win the Gold and hold all records. In the US we play a Willie Nelson tune and then get drunk.

And not so much as a single drop of rain all day!

billy rubin

i had an old episcopalian priest once say that one thing anglicanism did best, was the processions.

i havent seen any video of any of this since she died, but i know what it looks like

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

billy rubin

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/location-everything-trump-slams-biden-seat-queens-funeral

it is true.

i am astonished. really.

donald trump is so self absorbed that he cannot even let the funeral of the queen of england not be about him.

Quote"In Real Estate, like in Politics and in Life, LOCATION IS EVERYTHING!!!" Trump later added.