News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

New malaria vaccine is world-changing, say scientists

Started by Tank, September 08, 2022, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

What was the name of the movie that had a grumpy old research guy and an attractive woman exploring tropical medicines in the Amazon.? They found, after the story developed, ants that inhabited trees had some therapeutic juices.

billy rubin

the venom from ordinary american red harvester ants is hotter than from rattlesnakes

^^^these are about a quaerter inch long

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

A vaccine would go a long way towards alleviating a vast amount of human misery in the countries that have the problem. I consider it a good first step, but I'd like to see the vector(s) eliminated. I realize that the mosquitoes in question provide a niche in the ecosystem, but unless the bloodsuckers are eliminated, they'll just spread other diseases, like zika, dengue fever, etc. I've seen where animals have died, unable to get to safety before they were sufficiently drained of blood. I'd bet money that if those mosquitoes were eliminated, some other insect would fill that niche. Bugs are quick that way.

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on September 16, 2022, 02:17:10 AMthe venom from ordinary american red harvester ants is hotter than from rattlesnakes

^^^these are about a quaerter inch long

How about these beauties?
Zompopos de Mayo.

https://guanacos.com/los-zompopos-de-mayo-el-atractivo-de-invierno/
QuoteMay zompopos are from the ant family and we can notice it in their shape, but unlike them, they have wings. This species comes out when the first heavy rains occur, because for the males and the virgin queens it is the opportunity to mate.

https://www.laprensagrafica.com/elsalvador/Conozca-las-curiosidades-que-resguardan-los-zompopos-de-mayo-20160508-0067.html
QuoteCastes of ants: the minimum workers (2 mm in length), the middle workers (10 mm in length), the major workers or soldiers (20 mm in length, with a much larger head), the males, and the queens.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on September 16, 2022, 01:52:18 AMWhat was the name of the movie that had a grumpy old research guy and an attractive woman exploring tropical medicines in the Amazon.? They found, after the story developed, ants that inhabited trees had some therapeutic juices.

I remember this one!

QuoteMedicine Man came out in 1992 and was directed by John McTiernan who also directed Predator and The Hunt for Red October. Connery plays Dr. Robert Campbell a researcher working deep in the Amazon jungle who stumbles across a cure for the plague of the 20th century, cancer.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 16, 2022, 02:38:55 AMA vaccine would go a long way towards alleviating a vast amount of human misery in the countries that have the problem.
On one hand, it absolutely would. On the other, there's the production and distribution logistics... And the unintended/semi-intended consequences if they are overcome, such as increasing population - possibly (even more) out of tact with the availability of resources, volatile political climate... And equally-volatile other climate. Yeah. It may well be substituting death by one disease for death by another - or disease for starvation. Or war. Or both.

I suppose one problem at a time is the only way to sensibly approach multivariate issues, so no rain upon the parade intended - I just think we should also approach it with a dose of realism. For instance, when someone says that "x million lives were saved by this here vaccine" does it account for how many of those very lives have ended untimely due to other factors..? "Saved from a fire, yes. Pats on the back all around. Shot in the head on the way out of the burning building, you say? Very sad, that, but do let us never mind." I think one can apply this logic to the general amount of misery in an area as well.

Still, that's defeatist talk, and that's bad. Because... I have no idea why, actually. There is cool science involved, and with it, eventually, perhaps the misery will lessen indeed. Personally, I think corruption has to go before there is any real chance of that, but I also think that in any given society, enough people will always look out for number one to make that difficult at best.

QuoteI consider it a good first step, but I'd like to see the vector(s) eliminated. I realize that the mosquitoes in question provide a niche in the ecosystem, but unless the bloodsuckers are eliminated, they'll just spread other diseases, like zika, dengue fever, etc. I've seen where animals have died, unable to get to safety before they were sufficiently drained of blood. I'd bet money that if those mosquitoes were eliminated, some other insect would fill that niche. Bugs are quick that way.
The above having been said, I do agree with this. On all counts, in fact. [Affordable] vaccine is better than no [affordable] vaccine. The Asmo is all for genocide when it comes to bitey things. When sufficiently genocided, other bitey things usually come crawling into the now-empty niche to sneak up on a unsuspecting Asmo and bite Him right in the middle of His divine Butt Cheek, which is not only unacceptable, but probably amounts to sexual harassment! :rant1:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on September 16, 2022, 12:11:08 PM... The Asmo is all for genocide when it comes to bitey things. When sufficiently genocided, other bitey things usually come crawling into the now-empty niche to sneak up on a unsuspecting Asmo and bite Him right in the middle of His divine Butt Cheek, which is not only unacceptable, but probably amounts to sexual harassment! :rant1:
:snicker:

billy rubin

cant find a text for this old short story, who speaks for man. cousins?

its a judgment day, and man is in the dock. three species need to speak for man, else he will be eradicated.

the dog immediately jumps to man's side.

the horse laughs and runs away.

the cat walks off because the man asked the dog first.

some other species speaks for man? i forget. things are looking bad.

finally a small voice is heard, far back. it is the mosquito.

i speak for man, says the small voice.

moral of the story ending

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."