News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The Rings of Power

Started by Tank, September 05, 2022, 02:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Despite what I was told by a fellow fan, the last episode continues the downward trajectory for the series. Why is numenor so weak? Why aren't the elves any different from men? This all just fees wrong. Not just not good. Wrong.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on September 24, 2022, 06:12:29 PMDespite what I was told by a fellow fan, the last episode continues the downward trajectory for the series. Why is numenor so weak? Why aren't the elves any different from men? This all just fees wrong. Not just not good. Wrong.
Why is Sauron basically a worse Aragorn from the movies? Why is wise Galadriel an insufferable bint? Why do the Numenorians need her to explain to them that one way of killing things with the sword is to stab with the damned thing? I have zero sword training, and that is what I would try and do. How is agility preferable to strength in a sword fight? Again, looking back at the movies, both Aragorn and Boromir, among others, did indeed brute force their ways through Ork and Uruk-Hai alike. (Using movies rather than books as reference because fights/duels are vastly different on paper than they are live-action)

Eh, well... I am caught up now, and I agree. Things are getting worse through an increase in nonsense, plot armour and the use of McGuffins. Also, don't get me started on them "wolves." Those things were not even canine! And the Hobbits... The fucking hobbits! Definitely don't get me started on those.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

Hobbits Asmo. Go after them hobbits...

Asmodean

The Asmo may have volumes to say about what Amazon did to the hobbits. It's not just the homeless-villain look or the homeless-villain attitudes or even that they are not supposed to be in that story or have writing/keep books... Yeah... Volumes.

I mean, if they absolutely needed hobbits for some relatability or comedic relief type bullshit, there are ways. Get the grass out of their hair for starters. Have them live in holes, all hidden-like instead of wandering around in the open and don't have them do anything important... but then again, going off-canon is what Amazon chose to do with this thing. Except of course they are far from the calibre of storyteller that Tolkien was.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Speaking of plot armour, that Pompeii moment. It was enough to turn a few people and buildings into rubble and death, start an occasional fire, cover the world in that universal spice mix, with which one douses one's beef, if one means to grill it imporperly, and it did look rather on the deadly side. Galadriel, however, not even a tiny bit singed. By the way, her "dead" husband? If I were him, I would not come back until she's Cate Blanchett and/or based on tolkien's Galadriel. Like, seriously.

In any case, the day approaches when The Asmo shall have to re-watch that atrocity for the purpose of reviewing it in such a manner that the full scope of Huis righteous disgust is on the record.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Just finished watching the last episode. Still enjoyed it all.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

The last episode was not the worst, however, the show as a whole is, in my opinion, not just bad for Lord of the Rings but even for generic high fantasy.

I shall re-watch the episodes and do a proper review complete with massive spoilers.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

That episode had by far the best writing up to now. Mostly from the mind battle scene. It didn't put the polish on the turd though.

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on October 15, 2022, 11:22:23 PMThat episode had by far the best writing up to now.
Tolkien. Not among the top five of my personal favourite writers. (Though among the top ten)

I'm pretty sure the friction generated from him spinning in his grave will hold Britain warm all through the winter.

I don't disagree with you - it was "better..." If only the bar for Amazon's "better writing" was even slightly above sewage level.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

One episode to go for me.
I think it isn't so bad.
I like Galadriel
Ye ye, why the cutsey cutsey hobbits?
But they're not so bad, some of them.
And if Gandalf likes them, who are you to not?

The Wheel of Time
Moraine is excellent
Lan - underwhelming, he's not supposed to be
Nynaeve  shows potential
They besmalled Loial cause of budgetary restraints  :o
Perin, why did they do that to Perrin?
He is supposed to be likeable.
Siuan seems pretty cool
The show in total totally lacks cool though

Asmodean

The Wheel of Time has very little to do with the book series on which it was based, beyond some character names. A huge issue for me was that things that made sense in the book universe did not in the "adaptation."

Honestly, I haven't even made up an opinion on the characters because I never got over the world being so... Lacking.

But then, I am a bit of a Wheel of Time nerd, so I suspect I'd find any adaptation underwhelming in places. In places, though - not "it's all garbage."

It's good that you've enjoyed it - and I've heard that there is a season two on the way. Don't let nay-sayers like my sweet self discourage you from it. Still, I highly recommend the books in stead. (Also audiobooks, wonderfully narrated by Kramer/Reading) Also, always open for a deep lore dive on all things WoT if desired.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Asmodean on November 10, 2022, 01:56:12 PMIt's good that you've enjoyed it - and I've heard that there is a season two on the way. Don't let nay-sayers like my sweet self discourage you from it. Still, I highly recommend the books in stead. (Also audiobooks, wonderfully narrated by Kramer/Reading) Also, always open for a deep lore dive on all things WoT if desired.

Shit, I didn't enjoy The Wheel Of Time at all, it was ghastly.
I've read all those books more than once.
I think The Rings of Power TV series is OK
It's a long time since I read The Silmarillion and The Book of Lost Tales, I'm in no hurry to do it again.

Asmodean

Quote from: Cugel on November 10, 2022, 02:42:40 PMShit, I didn't enjoy The Wheel Of Time at all, it was ghastly.
Hope for humanity restored...

QuoteI've read all those books more than once.
...and amplified ;-)

I just assumed that you continued the "not so bad" thought from your RoP analysis.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Overall I was happy with the RoP in the end. I think any series to do with the LoR is going to impress and upset in equal measure as it is such an emotion laden franchise. Personally I just try to enjoy what I'm presented with otherwise I just get stupidly pissed off with it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.