News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

TV Series Use By Dates.

Started by The Magic Pudding., January 05, 2023, 08:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding.

So Tom is watching DS9

Quote from: Asmodean on January 05, 2023, 07:18:38 AMAh, yes! Now I want to re-watch it myself.

...And Stargate SG1. And Atlantis.

Do they still please?
Does their ability to please depreciate, or rust or something?
Does the pleasiness have a half life, ten years maybe?
Is this a golden age of TV and now stuff will age better than 20th century stuff?

If I watched those series I'd have to apply a vicious entertain me or I skip you policy to each episode, especially SG1.
I do have the Dell laptop Samantha Carter used to defeat the Goa'uld if anyone wants to make an offer.
I couldn't get into the XFiles again, failed to rewatch Buffy.
I hope I can do the IT Crowd and Black Books again, it's been a while.

Tank

It's an interesting thought. Scifi tends not to age well because of its predictive nature.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Stargate was good before that abomination of a series with all them talking heads and nothing but. I don't even remember what that one was called. I mean, the evil genius had some potential, but... Not really.

Stargate is in a way an alternate reality franchise (Which they explore it in several episodes and story arks, in fact) so I don't think it has a best-before date as such. DS9... In a way, yes. Star Trek future tech largely originates from the sixties and much of it is, as such, a bit rubbish. Still, some stories are really good.

Star Wars was murdered by Disney - I don't really have that much more to say about that universe.

Battlestar Galactica... I never managed to get sucked in.

...What was that one with the... Ah! Farscape. Yes? No? Yes, I think so. That one was fun, but short-lived. A bit like Stargate in several ways.

Then there are the classics. Starship Troopers is about duty more than it is about aliens, so sort-of timeless in that sense. War of the Worlds? (The original one, mostly) Some others based on the works of them "fathers" of fantasy/sci-fi? Hmm... They have a value of their own for being classics, but are hopelessly out-dated in terms of vision. (As in, the author's predictive capability as seen in hindsight - not the "in-universe" vision of the story)

I think that fate is what awaits the best of the last and the current generation of fiction, eventually. I don't think it will "expire," as such, but become... Classic.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Stargate, Star Trek, they used to make 20+ episode series, dross is to be expected.
The Stargate lets remember the past episodes episodes were disgruntling.

Fk, is disgruntling a word?
What? no, surely not, it mustn't be.
Of course it is, to put in a state of disgruntlement, I wouldn't have used unless it was proper.

Tank

Gruntled. Pleased, satisfied and contented.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

The video isn't available in the UK :(

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

VPNing, its The Twilight Zone (Classic): The Masks - You're Caricatures

Can't watch it, have to get back to Bilbo, Smaug has just woken, the Arkenstone has been spotted.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2023, 11:14:23 AMGruntled. Pleased, satisfied and contented.
Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2023, 11:14:23 AMGruntled. Pleased, satisfied and contented.

I think "gruntled" is the most un-onomatopoeic word I know.
Does anyone have a more so one?

Tank

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on January 06, 2023, 10:10:21 AMDisgruntled

I don't agree with that, disgruntled works because it's got gruntled in it.
The dis doesn't accomplish a flip, it accentuates the negativeness, if anything.