News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

and so it begins

Started by billy rubin, August 26, 2022, 05:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

two or three years ago i noticed that there were fewer butterflies in the fields and woodlands where i live

this year there are skippers and fritillaries and minor stuff, but i can count the monachs and big swallowtails ive seen this year on my fingers. theyre not here.

walking sticks and mantids. not here

last night at midnight i came in from a difficult day- 22 hours in the truck, broken parts, skipped deliveries and so on.

looked up at the big night light at the shop, out in the country.

no insects. not one.

no moths, no beetles, no neuropterans, no craneflies, nothing. one moth came by while i watched.

my house used to have waterfalls of scarab beetles coming in tbe windows in may

this year i saw one.

thetes cicadas all day and long horned grasshoppers and crickets at night, but no papillionids hardly

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

I have flowers in my garden specifically for insects, bees and butterflies. I have only seen 2 or 3 butterflies this whole years so far :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

then i saw a monarch shelter under the maple leaves from an appproaching thunderstorm

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

I haven't heard cicadas or frogs in years. It is probably just where I live. I get visited by marsupials all the time. They're cute little buggers.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

Bandicoots and other littler beggars.

Dark Lightning

We planted the milkweed that monarchs like, and there were many pupas hanging around on the plants. The milkweed is still around; we'll see what the population is like this year. We have mulch in the front yard. Lot of bugs, and lizards are everywhere, scarfing them down.

billy rubin

i scatter all the milkweed seeds i can find

MarcusA

The neighbour used to feed the wild birds. I had galahs everywhere.

Bluenose

Heard a few cicadas this year, but not so many.  We have a family of magpies that often visit our garden.  They sing to us, and I've never been swooped!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Monoculture world be a-coming.

One has to wonder, if the doomers are spot-on in their analyses, which they well may be, will this be just another great extinction to grace this planet, or the last one? I suppose aeons will show - though not to me, which is... Kinda' sad.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on April 28, 2023, 07:19:51 AMMonoculture world be a-coming.

One has to wonder, if the doomers are spot-on in their analyses, which they well may be, will this be just another great extinction to grace this planet, or the last one? I suppose aeons will show - though not to me, which is... Kinda' sad.

We're not dead yet.

Asmodean

And yet, there are but two certainties in life. Find a nice tax loophole, and you're down to one.

Quote from: Second Law of ThermodynamicsEverything dies.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on April 28, 2023, 07:33:32 AMAnd yet, there are but two certainties in life. Find a nice tax loophole, and you're down to one.

Quote from: Second Law of ThermodynamicsEverything dies.

Doom and Gloom in the growing dawn.

No one