News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

New model for predicting belief change

Started by Tank, August 21, 2022, 11:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

So, a productive thinker, one who can formulate their own thoughts is more inclined to recognize new information as valid and accept it, than their sheep minded counterparts, and who go wherever the flock is herded?

Tank

Quote from: No one on August 21, 2022, 01:58:11 PMSo, a productive thinker, one who can formulate their own thoughts is more inclined to recognize new information as valid and accept it, than their sheep minded counterparts, and who go wherever the flock is herded?

Yes, probably. But I'm not sure that's the point of the research. If you're not careful new information may cause people to reinforce their existing position to reduce cognitive dissonance. Which might be the 'wrong' position. I think we can see this with Trump supporters. As evidence mounts that he is an evil shit people double down on their belief that the new information is fake to reduce their dissonance. They do this because they are emotionally invested in their Trump world view. To accept the new evidence would be to increase their dissonance.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Americans possess the worlds championship for cognitive dissonance. I do not believe that we dimwits are aware of our handicap.

It is almost certain that the majority of the afflicted is among the uneducated. Rural folk seem to be more afflicted than urban ones.

I observe that there are people who are entirely capable thinkers who preach bullshit stuff in order to gain advantage, politically and economically. Taking advantage by invading the minds of the rubes is an age-old practice. That happens across our land, often on Wednesday nights.   

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2022, 11:57:47 AMNew model for predicting belief change

A short and interesting read.

Thank you Tank:thumb:  The article ends--

QuoteMoving forward, we want to expand this research to see if we can learn more about why people take certain paths to reduce their dissonance.

For those who tend to double-down on their "gut feeling" despite evidence to the contrary I have a hypothesis. Referring back to an old study which may be relevant: Perhaps because they have larger right amygdalae.

Of course there will always be those who do not hew to the middle of the bell curve--whose political stance is not driven by mere brain structure.  ;D

Nor forgetting that not all that long ago (in the basement dwelling era of anti-vax) it was predominantly leftist. The era of a corner office with a view only dawned when it was adopted by certain right wingers as a shibboleth.

Meh, reducing cognitive dissonance by doubling down does fit the profile. :thumbsup2:

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

^ Church and bible studies, on Wednesday evenings, are important time slots for deeply religious folk who are....how shall I put it.... easily persuaded.  Coincidentally, They are often committed Trump slaves)