News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Antarctic ice contains atmosphere from five million years ago

Started by Tank, August 13, 2022, 12:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Ice core taken in Antarctica contains sample of atmosphere from five million years ago

"A team of researchers affiliated with multiple institutions in the U.S. has successfully pulled an ice core from Antarctica's Ong Valley that contains samples of Earth's atmosphere from up to 5 million years ago. In their paper published in The Cryosphere, the researchers explain why they chose to drill in the Ong Valley and what they hope to learn from their study of the ice core."
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Fascinating stuff.  That kinda messes up the Genesis tale that makes the earth 6000 years old.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on August 14, 2022, 05:53:07 AMFascinating stuff.  That kinda messes up the Genesis tale that makes the earth 6000 years old.

My thoughts exactly :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

not at all. seriously.

chemical age dating makes a lit of assumptions, whethrt its atmospheric carbon or igneous thorium or nuclides or whatever.

one of the most critical assumptions is that the initial isotope ratios were at some particular value. in the chemical models of igneous rocks like potassium argon, the assumption is that all the original daughter product- the argon- all escaped as a gas during the meltand and any found in the rock today is a result of radioactive decay. then you just do the math. its really easy- i used to do them in about five minutes on a pocket calculator with a linear regression function.

these guys did one im not familiar with, measuring nuclides produced by cosmic rays in Be Ne and Al. the nuclides are produced by collisions at the surface, but apparently not at a depth where the rays dont penetrate. so it gives a date for when the ice was buried under more ice, and the air bubbles can be analyzed for ancient atmosphere. pretty cool, if i understand it correctly

but the assumption is that all this took place ovrr time, which becomesxa circular argument if you try to say the nuclide ratios prove creationism wrong.

creationism says the world was created with that ice buried there. already had the bubbles of air in it. already had nuclides present in it. already had all tbe ratios thrre, on that day 6000 years ago. thats because thats how the world was created-  with mountains Nnd buried glaciers and isotope ratios and everything else, in place. the world was created with the clock already ticking along, showing some particular time.

so the nuclide dating cant disprove special creation, because nothing can.

i think special creation is just jewish mythology, but it cant be disproven by science. the answer is always, thats the way it looks because thats the way it was created.

but old ice is really cool. ice that old is really uncommon. you csn get water out of salt, which can be really old, but ice is lots more fragile

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

the more i read about this the more interesting it gets

antarctica is a fascinating place. i knrw people who worked there every summer. mostly igneous petrologists and isotpe chemists

boring stuff to me

bur tbere are fossils there and antarctic biogeography was instrumental in verifying tbe breakup of pangaea

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."