News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Colouring book warns kids of pedophile priests.

Started by afreethinker30, July 13, 2008, 06:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afreethinker30

QuoteNew York's Roman Catholic Church is trying a novel approach to alert children to the danger of being sexually assaulted by a priest, with an abuse-themed coloring book, officials said yesterday.

"Being Friends, Being Safe, Being Catholic," was distributed earlier this year to several hundred schools in the New York area as part of the church's Safe Environment Program, a spokeswoman from the city's Archdiocese said.

One image in the book features a guardian angel hovering over an altar boy with a priest lurking in the background.

"For safety's sake, a child and an adult shouldn't be alone in a closed room together," the angel counsels. In another, the angel warns of a sexual predator attempting to chat with a child over the Internet.

David Clohessy, head of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, cautiously welcomed the initiative, but said it did not go far enough.

"We applaud the intent but worry a bit about the approach... it does still feel like almost every step taken by the hierarchy is one that's been prompted by external pressure," he told AFP.

http://richarddawkins.net/article,1971,Colouring-book-warns-kids-of-pedophile-priests,MSNcom

Asmodean

*Snort*

Quote"We applaud the intent but worry a bit about the approach...
I'll go stand with those guys. I don't "worry about" the approach though, just find it ridiculous.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Will

Instead of spending all this money developing a book, why not excommunicate the offenders instead of protecting them? It seems like a no-brainer. Turn them over to the police, even. And apologize for protecting them for so long.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

afreethinker30

True but then that would mean admitting they were wrong.And I'm sure more open to be sued by the masses.

Occam

I understand the concept, but I'm not sure this approach is as effective as they hope.  Another problem is:
QuoteFor safety's sake, a child and an adult shouldn't be alone in a closed room together," the angel counsels.

1.  How many kids are going to be afraid of being alone with a parent?

2.  How many kids are going to think they don't have to worry, because if anything bad were going to happen, there'd be an angel to warn and protect them?

Occam

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Occam"I understand the concept, but I'm not sure this approach is as effective as they hope.  Another problem is:
QuoteFor safety's sake, a child and an adult shouldn't be alone in a closed room together," the angel counsels.

1.  How many kids are going to be afraid of being alone with a parent?

2.  How many kids are going to think they don't have to worry, because if anything bad were going to happen, there'd be an angel to warn and protect them?

Occam

Great points.I can just see the catholic church going down the toliet.But this might be a good thing.In proving how uncaring,lieing,cowards they are maybe the more wrong they do that will be the thing that breaks up the church.Etiher that or the Pope will go bankrupt and have to do without his Popemoblie.