Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Alex Jones gets shafted!

Started by Tank, August 06, 2022, 12:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I'm not gloating... oh yes I am!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Jury awards $45.2 million in punitive damages in Alex Jones Sandy Hook trial

"Aug 5 (Reuters) - U.S. conspiracy theorist Alex Jones must pay the parents of a 6-year-old boy killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre $45.2 million in punitive damages - on top of $4.1 million in compensatory damages already awarded - for falsely claiming the shooting was a hoax, a Texas jury decided on Friday.

Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, separated parents of slain 6-year-old Jesse Lewis, testified that followers of Jones harassed them and sent them death threats for years in the false belief that they were lying about their son's death in the Dec. 14, 2012, shooting that killed 20 children and six staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut."
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Just desserts! And there are more lawsuits in the wings. I hope the miserable piece of shit dies penniless.

Tank

Have a look at some of the trial videos on YouTube, they are beautiful.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

tbe state of texas caps punitive damages at $750,000 prr plaintiff.

alex walked.

connecticutt may actually get him

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

So he will only get screwed to the tune of $750k?

billy rubin

1.5 million, two plaintiffs:

"We think the verdict was too high. As for punitive damages, Texas law caps them at $750,000 per plaintiff so this verdict today amounts to $1.5 million in punitives. Alex Jones will be on the air today, he'll be on the air tomorrow, he'll be on the air next week. He's going to keep doing his job holding the power structure accountable. That's our only statement," Reynal said after court.

---CNN

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

billy rubin

texas has a law designed to ensure that corporations do not suffer more than nominal punitive damages.

its a messed up place.

Dark Lightning

Too bad they didn't (couldn't?) go after him in a Federal court, then.

No one

I hope this absolute cum stain develops stage 666 pancreatic cancer and dies an excruciatingly slow and painful death, that drains him of all his finances. Then while his family weeps, they can be  accused of fabricating the entire incident and that fuckwad jones never actually had cancer.

billy rubin

he still has another texas defamation suit and one more in conecticutt, whsre the shooting took place.

i think (dont know) that he lost a default judgement on those as well

connecticutt has no caps on punitive damages.

Asmodean

This happened in Depp v. Heard as well. She got slapped with 5 million in punitive damages, which got capped to like 350K(?) because of local limitations in Virginia.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

apparently the texas cap can be waved, if the actions are especially egregious.

imo, they were certainly excepyionally egregious, but it all depends on the judge i think

Asmodean

...So what did Jones actually do? I don't care about the guy one way or the other, so this sort-of passed me by in its entirety.

I mean, I get from this thread that he said that an shooting was a hoax, and got sued by the family of someone who got shot dead in said hoax, but what was the legal... Case, I suppose? If any-one could summarize it in as few sentences as you can be arsed to?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

in america there is a civil offense called "defamation."

it is the causing of harm to another person by intentionally spreading lies. if the statements you make are truthful, then there is no defamation. if the statements you make are not harmful, then there is no defamation.

so the burden is to demonstrate that a lie was being told, and that it caused harm.

jones spread the lie that the sandy hook murders were false, that the dead children didnt actually exist, that their parents were paid actors in the employ of a government that wanted to create a false gun narratve in order to support anti-gun legislation. the truth of the murders is well-estblished.

the parents of the children were identified by name as crisis actors, were hounded by jones's followers, were villified in public by his followers, were confronted on their doorsteps by his followers, had people shoot guns at their house, by his follwers . . . and so on. so the harm he cause was well established.

not only that, but he repeated this lie for years on his programs, made millions of dollars in sales of his products on programs that continued to spread the lie.

finally, when he was called in court to cooperate by defending his position and by providing documents about the money he made pursuing these people, he ignored the courts in three instances. just ignored them.

so all three judges found against him by default. he can't take that back. the current cases arent about whether he was right or wrong-- he's lost that battle all on his own. all three cases are merely about deciding how much money he must pay the people he hurt by his actions.

there is another texas case, and one last one in connecticutt. he's already been found guilty of defamtion in both, so they are are also just about establishing how much money he has to cough up t compensate people.