News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Slavic Native Faith

Started by Recusant, October 26, 2022, 01:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I was reading yet another piece about the war in Ukraine, and noted a reference that I did not recognise. It was stated that many of the senior officers in the Russian mercenary force PMC Wagner claim to be adherents of Rodnovery. Though I have read a number of books on Russia, that was longer ago than I would like to admit.  ;) This Slavic neopaganism has apparently been around since the early/mid 20th century, but became more of a thing after the fall of the Soviet Union. The Wikipedia article is fairly extensive. 

"Slavic Native Faith" | Wikipedia

QuoteThe scholar of religion Alexey Gaidukov has described "Slavic Neopaganism" as a term pertaining to "all quasi-religious, political, ideological and philosophical systems which are based on the reconstruction and construction of pre-Christian Slavic traditions". The scholar of religion Adrian Ivakhiv has defined Rodnovery as a movement which "harkens back to the pre-Christian beliefs and practices of ancient Slavic peoples", while according to the historian and ethnologist Victor A. Shnirelman, Rodnovers present themselves as "followers of some genuine pre-Christian Slavic, Russian or Slavic-Aryan Paganism".

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Next, they'll be calling Western intervention a crusade against Paganism.

...The church of Satan is already to blame, if the local media's re-telling of Russian articles is to be believed. Makes an person wonder; unless you are willing to buy any justification, in which case you are probably equally-willing to buy no justification at all, you'll probably not buy this garbage. Forget skin-deep - it's so transparently bullshit as to be free-floating... Who is this more ridiculous sort of propaganda even for?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.