News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Mayo murder

Started by Asmodean, June 29, 2022, 09:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Magdalena on July 01, 2022, 08:29:42 PMWe all have the right to our own opinion, but maybe saying things like this here is why we only have four members in this forum.

Quote from: Anne D. on July 02, 2022, 04:52:43 AMI totally agree with Magdalena's statement that "maybe saying things like this here is why we only have four members in this forum."

A thousand times yes. Sometimes it's just too exhausting to have to argue one's reality.

Oh, hey, we still may manage double digits on a good day.  ;)

I agree with the points made in your posts and very much appreciate you folks sticking around and pushing back against our devolution into a silly old white guy place. :grouphug:

Yeah there happen to be four in that smiley.  :lol:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on July 02, 2022, 07:53:07 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 01, 2022, 08:29:42 PMWe all have the right to our own opinion, but maybe saying things like this here is why we only have four members in this forum.

Quote from: Anne D. on July 02, 2022, 04:52:43 AMI totally agree with Magdalena's statement that "maybe saying things like this here is why we only have four members in this forum."

A thousand times yes. Sometimes it's just too exhausting to have to argue one's reality.

Oh, hey, we still may manage double digits on a good day.  ;)

I agree with the points made in your posts and very much appreciate you folks sticking around and pushing back against our devolution into a silly old white guy place. :grouphug:

Yeah there happen to be four in that smiley.  :lol:
;D
Good one.
:hug: :hug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on July 01, 2022, 08:29:42 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 30, 2022, 06:26:32 PMWhy are we like this? I will list some causes: gun ownership; pioneer/individualist mentality; white people who evolved in cold climates living in hot, humid climates; right now - general frustration over economy, Covid, inflation; cowboy mentality lingering from the Old West (linked to 1 & 2 above); general devaluation of life in society; lack of integration into society of certain groups, often a result of racism or ethnic/cultural issues; political division that has created two major polar magnets, and people are drawn to one or the other; and - just maybe the American Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together.

And, of course, the No One Factor - People Suck.

QuoteBetween 1982 and June 2022, 68 out of the 129 mass shootings in the United States were carried out by white shooters. By comparison, the perpetrator was African American in 21 mass shootings and Latino in 11. When calculated as percentages, this amounts to 53 percent, 16 percent, and 8.5 percent respectively.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/476456/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-shooter-s-race/
Most were white males.

I'm tired of white men blaming immigrants for everything that goes wrong here.

QuoteAmerican Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together.
We can, I don't think you guys can.

We all have the right to our own opinion, but maybe saying things like this here is why we only have four members in this forum.

I don't know why I bother, if after all this time you guys refuse to see your own violent history and treatment of non-whites, there's nothing more we can do.

I just wanted to say this,to the four of you. Who else is gonna defend my people here?

If you read my post, you will see that one of the first things I mentioned was white people - I am well aware that we are the most violent sector in America. Not trying to "white wash" the problem at all. I am not blaming your people, and no where in my post did I say that. If all of us can't get along, that may and probably is largely the fault of the majority, the 60% of us who are white. Of course, other ethnic groups have had problems - Latinos and blacks have had their issues. But at least 60% of the problem is white people. We have been marginalizing other ethnic groups since the beginning.

Sorry you took my post as a diss of ethnic groups. White people are 60% of the lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds, and we have not made the place very inviting for others.

billy rubin

there another shootin ng this time in chicago

18 to 20 year old white male sniping at a parade frpm a rooftop. he dtppped the rifle and escaped

6 dead

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 04, 2022, 11:57:14 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 01, 2022, 08:29:42 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 30, 2022, 06:26:32 PMWhy are we like this? I will list some causes: gun ownership; pioneer/individualist mentality; white people who evolved in cold climates living in hot, humid climates; right now - general frustration over economy, Covid, inflation; cowboy mentality lingering from the Old West (linked to 1 & 2 above); general devaluation of life in society; lack of integration into society of certain groups, often a result of racism or ethnic/cultural issues; political division that has created two major polar magnets, and people are drawn to one or the other; and - just maybe the American Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together.

And, of course, the No One Factor - People Suck.

QuoteBetween 1982 and June 2022, 68 out of the 129 mass shootings in the United States were carried out by white shooters. By comparison, the perpetrator was African American in 21 mass shootings and Latino in 11. When calculated as percentages, this amounts to 53 percent, 16 percent, and 8.5 percent respectively.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/476456/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-shooter-s-race/
Most were white males.

I'm tired of white men blaming immigrants for everything that goes wrong here.

QuoteAmerican Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together.
We can, I don't think you guys can.

We all have the right to our own opinion, but maybe saying things like this here is why we only have four members in this forum.

I don't know why I bother, if after all this time you guys refuse to see your own violent history and treatment of non-whites, there's nothing more we can do.

I just wanted to say this,to the four of you. Who else is gonna defend my people here?

If you read my post, you will see that one of the first things I mentioned was white people - I am well aware that we are the most violent sector in America. Not trying to "white wash" the problem at all. I am not blaming your people, and no where in my post did I say that. If all of us can't get along, that may and probably is largely the fault of the majority, the 60% of us who are white. Of course, other ethnic groups have had problems - Latinos and blacks have had their issues. But at least 60% of the problem is white people. We have been marginalizing other ethnic groups since the beginning.

Sorry you took my post as a diss of ethnic groups. White people are 60% of the lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds, and we have not made the place very inviting for others.
It's OK.
Maybe it's just me.
I tested positive for Covid and I've been really sick for the past week.

:sad sigh:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Anne D.

I don't think it's "just you" Mags, and I'm so sorry you're feeling crappy.

"Why are we like this? I will list some causes: . . .
"white people who evolved in cold climates living in hot, humid climates;"
"lack of integration into society of certain groups, often a result of racism or ethnic/cultural issues" 
"and - just maybe the American Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together"

I'm obviously not Magdalena, but I found all of these statements as explanations for random rage shootings odd--especially when they constitute almost half of the proposed explanations.  The mention of white people didn't mention racist white people (clearly the culprit in Buffalo, Tree of Life Shooting, El Paso Walmart shooting), but "white people who lived in cold climates living in hot, humid climates." Huh? "Those normally naturally rational white people just go crazy in the heat"  ?

The reference to this "lack of integration into society of certain groups, often a result of racism or ethnic/cultural issues," even with the "often . . ." disclaimer,

combined with  this: "and - just maybe the American Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together"   sealed the what-the-hell factor.   

I can't speak for Magdalena, but the proposed response that, gosh, maybe the primary reason for all these bloody male gun tantrums isn't ding-ding-ding **too many guns** combined with lack of male emotional regulation but instead that newcomers just can't assimilate is a little much.

Doesn't make you a bad person, just makes you a person who should maybe question their assumptions. Just like me, just like everyone. Especially those of us in the U.S. I have tons of ingrained racist biases **from growing up in an inherently racist country** that I actively fight against. When they're pointed out to me, or when I recognize them in myself. I try to confront them head on. All we can do is commit to doing better going forward.

As for Asmo's "Some things in certain measures alloy better than others, strengthening the whole. Others do not."

I'm not even going to go there. The purpose seems to be to troll rather than engage, so it's not worth it.

Bluenose

I don't buy the "mix of ethnicities" is the cause of all the problems, particularly the mass shootings in the USA.  Sure, there are cultural issues involved, especially the ammosexual fetish for the Second Amendment of the US Constitution, but the real problem is too many guns.  Until and unless measures are taken to reduce the level of gun ownership (and not by a little), I predict your country will continue to suffer from continued incidents of mass shootings on a tragically continuing basis.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Anne D.

Quote from: Bluenose on July 05, 2022, 03:16:57 AMI don't buy the "mix of ethnicities" is the cause of all the problems, particularly the mass shootings in the USA.  Sure, there are cultural issues involved, especially the ammosexual fetish for the Second Amendment of the US Constitution, but the real problem is too many guns.  Until and unless measures are taken to reduce the level of gun ownership (and not by a little), I predict your country will continue to suffer from continued incidents of mass shootings on a tragically continuing basis.

^^^ Yes.

Magdalena

Quote from: Anne D. on July 05, 2022, 01:47:46 AMI don't think it's "just you" Mags, and I'm so sorry you're feeling crappy.

"Why are we like this? I will list some causes: . . .
"white people who evolved in cold climates living in hot, humid climates;"
"lack of integration into society of certain groups, often a result of racism or ethnic/cultural issues" 
"and - just maybe the American Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together"

I'm obviously not Magdalena, but I found all of these statements as explanations for random rage shootings odd--especially when they constitute almost half of the proposed explanations.  The mention of white people didn't mention racist white people (clearly the culprit in Buffalo, Tree of Life Shooting, El Paso Walmart shooting), but "white people who lived in cold climates living in hot, humid climates." Huh? "Those normally naturally rational white people just go crazy in the heat"  ?

The reference to this "lack of integration into society of certain groups, often a result of racism or ethnic/cultural issues," even with the "often . . ." disclaimer,

combined with  this: "and - just maybe the American Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together"  sealed the what-the-hell factor. 

I can't speak for Magdalena, but the proposed response that, gosh, maybe the primary reason for all these bloody male gun tantrums isn't ding-ding-ding **too many guns** combined with lack of male emotional regulation but instead that newcomers just can't assimilate is a little much.

Doesn't make you a bad person, just makes you a person who should maybe question their assumptions. Just like me, just like everyone. Especially those of us in the U.S. I have tons of ingrained racist biases **from growing up in an inherently racist country** that I actively fight against. When they're pointed out to me, or when I recognize them in myself. I try to confront them head on. All we can do is commit to doing better going forward.

As for Asmo's "Some things in certain measures alloy better than others, strengthening the whole. Others do not."

I'm not even going to go there. The purpose seems to be to troll rather than engage, so it's not worth it.

Anne D.

Anne D.

^^^ oh, man--right back at you.

billy rubin

i was really naive about american racism when i returned to the states at the age of 18. i moved into an experimental integrated dorm in coolege- half black and half white. but i didnt know it was integrated, because id grown up in a mix of all races and nstionalities since i was about 9.

in hindsight people must have ghought i wad nuts. i knew no american slang, so when a black guy passed me on the stairs and said

"hey man whats going on?"

i would stop and tell him . . .

i must have mystified people.

took me several years to figure out what behaviour was racist and what wasnt, because i just didnt know.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

The human race is the only race of humans I am aware of.
I dislike them, greatly. As a species, they are not worth the sweat off my balls!

Ecurb Noselrub

OK, I listed things I could come up with at the time. At no time did I say anything negative about any ethnic group. I thought I listed some things we could have a discussion about. BUT, rather than try to explain or defend myself, I'll just apologize.  Sorry to offend, didn't mean to, won't say anything else.

billy rubin

i already told you an aggie joke.

if that isnt racist then i dont know whst to say

being a petroleum geologist in west texas i knew lots of aggies

Icarus

There is rather large component of our society who have a problem with immigrant persons who do not look exactly like themselves. That includes Asians, Hispanics, dark skinned Africans, Pacific and Caribbean islanders and people of a different sexual persuasion. My dumb fuck Governor of Florida has invented "don't say gay" legislation that his like-minded state politicians made into law. Sheeesh!

Let us contemplate the identity of those people and examine their presumed motivation. These are well organized individuals who are hell bent on having the rest of us comply with their socio-political beliefs. They are dead set against any form of abortion, are immovably in favor of their second Amendment right to own and use firearms, they have no qualms about arranging voting districts in such a way that the will of the majority is not likely, they have no qualms about lying about such things as election rigging, They are committed to the belief that we must all agree that Jesus of the bible is our lord and savior. They believe that it is their obligation to force all of us to believe as they do....or at least as they say they do. They are certain that a wall between our southern border states and Mexico will keep the terrible, murderous, rapist drug smugglers from overwhelming and defiling our utopian country. There are more narrow-minded missions that our powerful group of right wing religionists believe and intend to enforce.

Those people are characterized by willful ignorance. They too often refuse to read, refuse to weigh the facts, refuse to listen to reason, refuse to address reality, are opposed to any rule that they believe violates their freedom, like mask mandates or Covid vaccinations.  They are likely to believe, absolutely, that the government is the enemy even though so many of them are members of the governing bodies.  They continue to elect representatives of the governments even though they continue to believe that government, as a body, is evil and has secret ulterior motives such as implanting microchips in vaccines. Alex Jones is a more reliable arbiter of truth than is the president or the Attorney general of the United States. Fauci is a conniving operative whose only aim is to enrich himself, and so on,,,,,,,,,, ad-finitum.

Truth to tell we are a nation that is painfully overpopulated with dumb bastards who are almost unimaginably gullible.  :rant1:  :rant1:  :rant1:  :rant1: