News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Mayo murder

Started by Asmodean, June 29, 2022, 09:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

While I totally understand the urge to go on a murderous rampage over a wrongly made sandwich, in polite society, if you want your food prepared just right, you make it your-fucking-self. When you pay someone else a pittance to do it for you, you get what you pay for - and get positively surprised when you get something better.

Again, I find myself wondering; what is it about the American culture that so often causes adults to resort to physical violence before exhausting the available diplomatic solutions? Could whatever the cause is also be at the root of kids shooting up schools with a much higher frequency than what's expected in the rest of the world?

The news article, which our local media translated, is kind-of garbage, but the facts of the matter remain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/27/atlanta-subway-mayo-shooting/
Quote from: sourceMan killed Subway worker over 'too much mayo on his sandwich,' police say

A man fatally shot an employee and injured another at an Atlanta Subway restaurant over the weekend because he had "too much mayo on his sandwich," police said Monday morning.

The shooter fired a handgun at two workers, a 26-year-old woman who died of her wounds and a 24-year-old woman who was in critical condition, Deputy Police Chief Charles Hampton Jr. told reporters. The injured woman's 5-year-old child was in the restaurant at the time.

...One of these days, I'm going to post a nice Current Event. Totally am, see if I won't. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

^^^this is an example of a death that gun ownership redtricyions might have prevented

im making assumptions, but this guy sounds like a nut with a legal gun over a criminal

not everybody who has a legal right to carry a gun has the brains that are also required

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

It's possible. Still, is it not a bit strange that for example Norwegian retards and/or madmen with legal weapons shoot people so rarely by comparison?

I mean, there are a few more hoops to jump through to get them boomsticks over here, but "all the wrong people" still manage to get some.

That's not to say we don't have gun crime - we do, but it's usually either criminals doing business or domestic disputes blowing up into small wars... Or the religion of peace/murder politics types, and they are very few and very far between for all the boom that's out there.

For all I know, it could be down to the relative number of guns per capita, but that seems way too simple to be the whole story.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

i think its cultural, but my kids who play murderous video games disagree

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

I play murderous video games too, and I don't even want a gun.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

America has more center of the universes than anywhere else in existence.

If you are unlucky enough to aggravate or displease one of them, it's your own damn fault, and you rightfully get your just desserts.

Asmodean

Quote from: No one on June 30, 2022, 08:47:42 AMAmerica has more center of the universes than anywhere else in existence.

If you are unlucky enough to aggravate or displease one of them, it's your own damn fault, and you rightfully get your just desserts.
Well, to be fair, there was, apparently, just too much goddamned mayo to be dealt with in a civilised fashion.

Imagine the Universe. Except it's all mayo. A uniform acidic goo of oils and eggs. Everywhere and everywhen. That's what it was like. Horrible.

...I do apologize for making light of a tragedy. There's just something about the concept of mayo being at the heart of it that... Refuses to be properly resisted by me in a responsible adult fashion.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

my wwife an kids hsve worked fsst food.

people can be horrible, even without a gun

No one

Ecurb Noselrub

Why are we like this? I will list some causes: gun ownership; pioneer/individualist mentality; white people who evolved in cold climates living in hot, humid climates; right now - general frustration over economy, Covid, inflation; cowboy mentality lingering from the Old West (linked to 1 & 2 above); general devaluation of life in society; lack of integration into society of certain groups, often a result of racism or ethnic/cultural issues; political division that has created two major polar magnets, and people are drawn to one or the other; and - just maybe the American Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together.

And, of course, the No One Factor - People Suck.

Asmodean

You know, it may be very politically insensitive to say in this here current year, but I do concur that maybe the whole melting pot thing... Comes with certain downsides.

I further concur that the answer is almost certain not to be simple and contain more variables than university level algebra exercise book - those listed mostly valid-seeming at a glance.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Bluenose

Quote from: Asmodean on June 30, 2022, 07:45:02 PMYou know, it may be very politically insensitive to say in this here current year, but I do concur that maybe the whole melting pot thing... Comes with certain downsides.

I further concur that the answer is almost certain not to be simple and contain more variables than university level algebra exercise book - those listed mostly valid-seeming at a glance.

I'm not so sure about the melting pot thing having downsides.  The 2021 Australian census released a few days ago reports that about a quarter of the 25 million population was born overseas and about half have one or more parent born overseas.  We have people of all sorts of ethnicities here, we have large numbers from China, many south-east Asian countries, a large contingent from Vietnam (my favourite local cafĂ© is Vietnamese, called Hochi Mini - LOL), many from the subcontinent, Africa, South America and even the USA and Canada.  Of course, we also have our own first nations' people who are becoming a much more important part of our culture, although they still have a long way to go to overcome the wrongs done to them since 1788.  About the only place not represented here is Antarctica - mind you, we lay claim to a large part of that continent too, but that is currently under abeyance because of the Antarctic Treaty.

While we are not perfect, and despite a few extreme right politicians and sundry bigots, for the overwhelming part all these different people seem to get along very well.  All those different cultures serve to enrich our own, like the Borg we add their distinctiveness to our own.  :grin:
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

That depends though, doesn't it?

Are you melting your steel with chromium and vanadium, or tungsten with aluminium? In what proportions?

Some things in certain measures alloy better than others, strengthening the whole. Others do not.

I think you can translate this metaphor to people pretty much directly, and I'm not exclusively talking about ethnicity/faith. The proportion of haves as opposed to have-nots, for example, is another such factor.

As far as peace and quiet goes, the more homogenous societies tend to have more of it than the more diverse, be it ethnically, like Japan or socioeconomically, like Denmark.

Mind you, I'm not advocating for homogeneity being some sort of a goal unto itself, but then I don't just buy the "diversity is strength" argument either - not without some extraordinary receipts.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 30, 2022, 06:26:32 PMWhy are we like this? I will list some causes: gun ownership; pioneer/individualist mentality; white people who evolved in cold climates living in hot, humid climates; right now - general frustration over economy, Covid, inflation; cowboy mentality lingering from the Old West (linked to 1 & 2 above); general devaluation of life in society; lack of integration into society of certain groups, often a result of racism or ethnic/cultural issues; political division that has created two major polar magnets, and people are drawn to one or the other; and - just maybe the American Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together.

QuoteBetween 1982 and June 2022, 68 out of the 129 mass shootings in the United States were carried out by white shooters. By comparison, the perpetrator was African American in 21 mass shootings and Latino in 11. When calculated as percentages, this amounts to 53 percent, 16 percent, and 8.5 percent respectively.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/476456/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-shooter-s-race/
Most were white males.

I'm tired of white men blaming immigrants for everything that goes wrong here.

QuoteAmerican Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together.
We can, I don't think you guys can.

We all have the right to our own opinion, but maybe saying things like this here is why we only have four members in this forum.

I don't know why I bother, if after all this time you guys refuse to see your own violent history and treatment of non-whites, there's nothing more we can do.

I just wanted to say this,to the four of you. Who else is gonna defend my people here?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Anne D.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 30, 2022, 06:26:32 PMWhy are we like this? I will list some causes: gun ownership; pioneer/individualist mentality; white people who evolved in cold climates living in hot, humid climates; right now - general frustration over economy, Covid, inflation; cowboy mentality lingering from the Old West (linked to 1 & 2 above); general devaluation of life in society; lack of integration into society of certain groups, often a result of racism or ethnic/cultural issues; political division that has created two major polar magnets, and people are drawn to one or the other; and - just maybe the American Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together.

Bullshit. I think it is very weird to leap from America's ubiquitous male rage shootings to "maybe the American Experiment has failed - lots of people from lots of places with lots of different backgrounds really just can't live together."

The evidence seems to point to a different explanation, namely to too many fucking guns and too much toxic masculinity--men feeling entitled to have violent tantrums. I have never understood why women are considered more "emotional" than men. Men's violent outbursts are routinely excused. That's not an inappropriate emotional display?

I totally agree with Magdalena's statement that "maybe saying things like this here is why we only have four members in this forum."

A thousand times yes. Sometimes it's just too exhausting to have to argue one's reality.