News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Billy and the Bees

Started by Dark Lightning, June 28, 2022, 12:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

I thought that this was pretty interesting. Microbe that is beneficial for bees.

https://phys.org/news/2022-06-microbe-honey-bees-poor-nutrition.html

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on June 28, 2022, 12:54:04 AMI thought that this was pretty interesting. Microbe that is beneficial for bees.

https://phys.org/news/2022-06-microbe-honey-bees-poor-nutrition.html

thats super interesting

managed hives always experience a nutrition hit in tbe early spring because they are usually rented out for early monoculture blooms, like almonds. i have seen emerged adults physically dwarfed from a pollen shortage they experienced during their larval stages.

i used to feed liquid amino acid supplements plus protein patties made from mixed pollens, yeast, and corn syrup, but it was very expensive and i was never sure it made any difference

got to go

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

im stuck in oklahoma at a stockyard where i have lost yet another set of trailer wheel bearings, but managed to get off the road before i lost the wheels. i thought my mechanic had just shown up.

anyway, honeybee nutrition is critical to colony health, and is often lacking. ive haf colonies starve to death faster than i could feed them in rainy weather. a good beehive might have eight pounds of bees and open brood in it, and if the flowers shut down, you have to be on top of them to keep them from going backwards.

as i understan this, the microbe might be encouaged to grow as a symbiont in a hive and then would grow in the royal jelly better than a petri dish, adding proteins to the mix. that would be an excellent find, especially if itveere self sustaining

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

billy rubin

my queens from northern california have been delayed a week because bad weather prevented mating flights

so it will be 20 days before i can make divides. in the meantime ohio is going full bore

cherries dandelions siberian sqilks coltsfooot maples

things afe heating up

so i took my one beehive which was five boxes tall and made it into 3. no idea where the queen is

ill go through it this weekend and see. two will have emergency queen cells and the last will be normal

all i want to do is forestall swarming until i can split em and get laying queens into the divides

there was one swarm cell sealed with a queen in it. killed that right away

i have a pound of black oil seed subflowers to pkant still