News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Russia invades Ukraine.

Started by Tank, February 24, 2022, 09:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

By bringing the war to Moscow, it will go nuclear. Maybe even before that - the Russian government only needs to legitimise a threat to the existence of Russia in order to proceed. I have little doubt they will manage that long before the war reaches their capital.

It's too bad that Ukraine has to fight for "the lot of us" as alone as they are, but going against a nuclear power, as foreign in their approach to the value of human life, individual and group rights and duties as they are to "us" in the West, I think winning a proxy war is the best we can hope for.

I think it can be won, though for all practical purposes, it is likely to cost "us" Ukraine - or much of it, at least. Russia is tenacious. They won't pack their gear and fuck the fuck off on their own unless their leadership changes several times, I think. For that, we are talking decades. Potentially, many decades. Driving them out... For Ukraine alone (Yes, yes, even with "our" fancy rockets) it's a tall order.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If it does go Nuclear and it may Russia will be totally fucked while Putin remains in charge.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

More than Russia will be fucked in that case, which I assume the Russian leaders know and count on.

That said, I'm rapidly approaching my vote going to the "bring it on!" crowd. Just get this whole Russia and China thing over with - preferably India and Pakistan as well. I'm ready for my Fallout universe with chaingun wielding super mutants and feral ghouls and vault dwellers and, if statistics are to be believed, no me in it.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Kharkiv offensive: Russia surprised as Ukraine takes several towns - UK

QuoteA Ukrainian advance near the eastern city of Kharkiv - which has recaptured several towns - has taken Russia "by surprise", UK defence officials say.

In a daily update, they said Kyiv's forces have advanced 50km (31 miles) into previously Russian-held territory.

The attack has also left thousands of Moscow's troops "increasingly isolated" near the key city of Izyum, they said.

On Friday evening, President Volodymyr Zelensky said Ukraine had retaken 30 settlements in the Kharkiv region.

Some good news.

Asmodean

I do hope Ukraine has what it takes - or will be given it - to kick Russia from out of her borders (That includes Crimea in my book)

They are doing well. No longer just "better than we could have hoped" - just... Well. May this trend continue.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.