News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Russia invades Ukraine.

Started by Tank, February 24, 2022, 09:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

The good part of this story is the Ukrainian response: "That's $3 billion you owe us, shitheads."

"World's largest plane destroyed in Ukraine" | CNN

QuoteThe world's largest aircraft, the Antonov AN-225, has been destroyed during the Russian invasion of Ukraine, according to Ukrainian officials, generating alarm and sadness among the aviation world in which it occupies almost cult status.

The enormous aircraft, named "Mriya," or "dream" in Ukrainian, was parked at an airfield near Kyiv when it was attacked by "Russian occupants," Ukrainian authorities said, adding that they would rebuild the plane.

"Russia may have destroyed our 'Mriya'. But they will never be able to destroy our dream of a strong, free and democratic European state. We shall prevail!" wrote Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba on Twitter.

There has been no independent confirmation of the aircraft's destruction. A tweet from the Antonov Company said it could not verify the "technical condition" of the aircraft until it had been inspected by experts.

Ukrainian state defense company Ukroboronprom, which manages Antonov, on Sunday issued a statement saying the aircraft had been destroyed but would be rebuilt at Russia's expense -- a cost it put at $3 billion.

"The restoration is estimated to take over 3 billion USD and over five years," the statement said. "Our task is to ensure that these costs are covered by the Russian Federation, which has caused intentional damage to Ukraine's aviation and the air cargo sector.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

The EU is sending money, weapons and supplies to the Ukraine as well as imposing strong sanctions against Russia. I'm not sure that would be enough. Maybe Biden and Johnson should take a stronger stance. After all the USA and Britain were the ones who signed the Budapest memorandum in 1994 with Russia that included security assurances against threats or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, Belarus, and Kazakhstan.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Bad Penny II

They just don't like us in this neighbourhood.

You skinned three local dogs and hung them from your tree.

They sway pleasingly in the wind.

You poisoned three cats and nailed them to your fence.

They didn't show me appropriate deference, they do now.

You strew broken glass through the children's play area.

Yes, it was noticed too soon by your helicopter parents, I should have hid it in the sandpit, glued some bits to the climbing equipment.

I think we have some cultural differences.

You just don't like us.

No, I just don't like you.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

It will take Russia and Russians a long time to dig out of this hole. They will not be welcomed anywhere in the West.

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 01, 2022, 09:16:24 AM
They just don't like us in this neighbourhood.

You skinned three local dogs and hung them from your tree.

They sway pleasingly in the wind.

You poisoned three cats and nailed them to your fence.

They didn't show me appropriate deference, they do now.

You strew broken glass through the children's play area.

Yes, it was noticed too soon by your helicopter parents, I should have hid it in the sandpit, glued some bits to the climbing equipment.

I think we have some cultural differences.

You just don't like us.

No, I just don't like you.

:en route: :smokin cool:

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fiona-hill-warns-putin-would-use-nuclear-weapons-if-he-has-an-instrument-he-wants-to-use-it-11646155410

fiona hill is one of britains best exports to the states.

in this very sobering interview she discusses her view of putins war and what may come next.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Dark Lightning

If he uses nukes in Ukraine, he's fouling his own nest as well. That may not mean as much to him. Russia is a big enough land mass that the dirty areas can be avoided. I sure hope he gets muzzled by his military leaders, first.

billy rubin

well, we all have a problem.

putin is not going to pacify ukraine, so very soon he will begin the chechnya playbook, which is to bomb the country to smithereens. something like 8000 civilians were killed in grozny, and we re headed there.

this technique will end organized resistance in ukraine, and harden the animosity of every ukrainian citizen. so we re looking at a protracted guerrilla war against an occupying force which will likely not end quickly.

nato and the EU will continue to arm the ukrainian resistance, because it is obvious that there is no alternative, else putin will roll over all of europe in order to recreate his view of russias rightful empire.

eventually the ukrainians will use adjacent nato countries to stage attacks in ukraine. putin will announce this is nato participation, and he will bomb th eukrainians in a nato country.

this will be a declaration of war between nato and russia, and there will be a land war in europe, at first with conventional weapons.

because the russians cant fight a war against anything except their own people, the land war will go badly for putin.

then putin will use tactical nukes against ukrainian or nato forces, something which the russians have always said they are willing to do.

from there we either all see reality, or we all go up in flames. i have no idea what will happen from this point on, as my crystal ball goes suddenly foggy.

but with 6000 ICBMs, putin has more than enough warheads to make a dent in th epopulations of europe and north america, should he go postal. and he has no compunctions abouit killing large numbers of non-combatants.

remember, you saw it here first.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

just sayin, i'd be really happy if somebody disagreed with me here.

Dark Lightning

When I worked in defense, I had co-workers who were graduates of the War College. Too bad I'm not still working, as I could get a good idea of expectations. I think Putin is just bluffing about nukes. I have nothing to base that on but wishful thinking.

Icarus

M.A.D. is the abbreviation of the term, Mutually Assured Destruction.  France, the UK and the US have nukes and the vehicles to deliver them.  Of course so does Pakistan, India, China, and North Korea.  Iran is busy working on that capacity and it is uncertain whether Israel has nuclear weapons.

Is Putin sufficiently deranged to imagine that his Russia would not also be reduced to rubble?  I fear that he may very well be so deranged as to bring about the end of the world as we know it.  Would his military and top advisors stop him from pushing the red button? Let us hope so.  To gamble on the eventual outcome is a pretty serious bet.

I do not believe that the western world is inhabited by pussies. I reckon that they are weighing the options rather carefully and suspiciously of the Russian madman. We will probably know the outcome withing the next 30,60,90 days.  I live within 40 miles of the national strategic command center for the US.  A sure target if things get out of control. 

Not a word has been said about our preparations for Nuclear conflict.  I do dearly hope that we and our nuclear capable allies have quietly gone into prep mode. If I am to be incinerated, then I want, dearly,  to take many of the enemy with me, to dwell forever in Valhalla.

If God is interfering here, maybe he/she/it has had enough of our humans fuck ups. Global warming would be much diminished after a hundred years or so. 

Ecurb Noselrub

Agree, except it is absolutely certain that Israel has nukes. I am sure we are ready in the unimaginable eventuality that Russia uses WMD. Our submarine fleet can strike strategically and our air power is unmatched, even if Russia is capable of wiping out our land-based missiles with a hypersonic strike. Russia would be annihilated, so you will meet lots of Ruskies in Valhalla. 

billy rubin

im thinking russia will use very small tactical  tank or artillery launched nukes on the ukrainians, and dare the world to object. they are not covered by treaties. putin screwed this up and needs to up the ante.

this whole thing seems to be the last gasp of tbe 20th century-- if putin is driven back. if not, it means tbe 21st century will be a repeat.

Tom62

I think that Russia will use their thermobaric weapons. The effects of that weapon are devastating.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

well i guess its time to take some sort of stand.

china has refused to condemn the russian invasion or even acknowledge what is happening there. henceforth i will no longer purchase anything made in china, so far as i am aware.

i dont expect to be perfect in this, but it is my intent not to have any of my money go to therm

this was the last straw;

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-covid-health-biological-weapons-china-39eeee023efdf7ea59c4a20b7e018169