News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Why US Latinos Are Turning To The GOP

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, February 16, 2022, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

This article examines the US Latino shift to the right. It was dramatic in South Texas in the 2020 election, with many Latinos going for Trump. They are not reliably Democratic, and many of them don't really see themselves as "Latino."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/14/opinions/republican-latino-voters-gest/index.html

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 16, 2022, 10:58:08 PM
This article examines the US Latino shift to the right. It was dramatic in South Texas in the 2020 election, with many Latinos going for Trump. They are not reliably Democratic, and many of them don't really see themselves as "Latino."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/14/opinions/republican-latino-voters-gest/index.html
Every race has its share of stupid.
Denying one's ancestry doesn't automatically make them, "white". The sad part is that if they deny they are Latinos, they are no longer welcomed on this side, and they will never be accepted/considered/welcomed as, "anglo" either.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Quote from: Magdalena on February 16, 2022, 11:48:36 PM

Denying one's ancestry doesn't automatically make them, "white". The sad part is that if they deny they are Latinos, they are no longer welcomed on this side, and they will never be accepted/considered/welcomed as, "anglo" either.

And some of the races have more than their share of stupid, Mags.  I am ashamedly referring to the whites who claim pure Angle-Saxon ancestry and believe in their superiority.  In fact, most of them do not know a damned thing about what Anglo-Saxon means nor what words like Pure imply.     Stupid is self-perpetuating.

billy rubin

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Ecurb Noselrub

Yes, and I was disappointed in 2020 when two reliably democratic counties in South Texas went for Trumpie. I saw some Latinos cheering one of those stupid Trump Nazi parades that they have, and wanted to tell them that the white boys driving those pick-up trucks with Trump flags wouldn't hesitate to send you to Mexico, if they could. Even though your families have been in Texas longer than theirs.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 17, 2022, 04:20:15 PM

Yes, and I was disappointed in 2020 when two reliably democratic counties in South Texas went for Trumpie. I saw some Latinos cheering one of those stupid Trump Nazi parades that they have, and wanted to tell them that the white boys driving those pick-up trucks with Trump flags wouldn't hesitate to send you to Mexico, if they could. Even though your families have been in Texas longer than theirs.
Wow. It's sad, frustrating, and disappointing.

My man and I talk about this all the time. We have noticed that this group of people changes after they fix their legal status in the USA.

Once they get their papers, they suddenly hate undocumented and documented immigrants. Why? Who the fuck knows. They start repeating the same false statements that racist people make against immigrants, documented or not. But because they now have a green card, they think that this puts them in a different/better category, so they start hating what they were and think that by doing that the racists/ anti-immigrants will suddenly love, respect, and accept them..?

It hurts to see this. I've seen estadounidenses treat immigrants with more dignity and respect than these Latinos do. Selling their soul to the devil for some papers is not worth it.

I hope they can see the harm they are doing to themselves and others by their ignorance. I leave you with my favorite quote, I think it explains more eloquently what I'm trying to say:
by H. Jack Geiger, Civil Rights Worker.

"Of all the in injuries inflicted by racism on people of color, the most corrosive is the wound within, the internalized racism that leads some victims, at unspeakable cost to their own sense of self, to embrace the values of their oppressors."

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

The true American dream - the IDEA of equality and liberty - may be unreachable. There are too many competing forces.  You have to commit yourself to the idea, and then act accordingly, even though your tribalistic tendencies tell you otherwise.

As a white male in America, it would be easy for me to give in to the tribal. But that is not the foundational principle of this country. The intentional decision to put principle above instinct and upbringing is hard for most people. I remind myself of the Declaration of Independence and the Gettysburg Address regularly. They become my guiding light as far as political philosophy is concerned. Logically, rejection of Trumpian Naziism is the correct conclusion, but all around me I see my fellow citizens going the opposite direction. It is depressing.