News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Holy Diction, Batman!

Started by Recusant, February 16, 2022, 08:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

When you're invoking the supernatural, it is very important to use the correct formula for your mumbo-jumbo. You think you're summoning up a helpful woodsprite, get a syllable wrong and you're dealing with a vengeful demon.  :lol:

"Diocese in San Diego advises new baptisms for people worried about priest's mistake" | San Diego Union-Tribune

QuoteThe Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego is urging anyone concerned that their baptism might have been performed improperly to contact their local priest about a possible do-over.

The recommendation came Tuesday in the wake of the resignation of a Catholic priest who acknowledged that he wrongly performed thousands of baptisms in recent years.

The New York Times reported Monday that the Rev. Andres Arango was performing a baptism at St. Gregory Catholic Church in Phoenix last year when some people in the pews heard a slight variation of the traditional ritual.

The priest said, "We baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit," the newspaper reported Arango as saying. That is a notable departure from the "I baptize you ..." protocol, the paper said.

The designation is critical because the priest is thought to be speaking directly for Christ during baptism ceremonies.

Officials at St. Gregory investigated reports from parishioners that Arango said "we" instead of "I" and last month determined that the priest had wrongly performed thousands of baptisms dating back 20-plus years. The oversights also occurred while Arango was assigned to Brazil and San Diego, the New York Times said.

Arango was assigned to the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego between 2000 and 2005, a spokesman for the local diocese said Tuesday.

"If anyone thinks that somehow they have been affected by this, they just need to go to their pastor," said Kevin Eckery, the spokesman. "If they do need to get fully baptized, their pastor can take care of it."

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

You'd think their almighty, powerful, omni-potent God could have figured out the inference  of the priest's magic spell, seems odd to think it would be an issue...can you imagine after you die, and you find out that despite living a sinless, godly life you wind up going to hell with us atheists because of a single, miss-spoken word?

Not sure who handles these contractual things in Heaven (Aren't all the Lawyers in Hell?), but that would be an amusing conversation to overhear.

"What do you mean I'm going to hell? I was baptized, I have the document right here"?

"I'm sorry sir, but during the ceremony the priest conducting the magic says "We Baptize you", instead of "I Baptize you". This is clearly in violation of baptismal code 16ab.

"So I'm going to hell because the Priest said We instead of I"?

"Yes sir, I'm sorry"

"But the all of the Priest who molested children are here in Heaven, how the holy hell is that allowed?

"I'm sorry sir, but please move along as I don't speak to sinners! You need to get in line behind Papasito Bruno, Mags and Recusant...you are all on the next bus to hell"

(Is it just me or is it weird they have busses in Heaven?)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

No one

The lord thy god, has the IQ of a meth addicted, mentally stunted mealworm.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 16, 2022, 05:02:44 PM
You'd think their almighty, powerful, omni-potent God could have figured out the inference  of the priest's magic spell, seems odd to think it would be an issue...can you imagine after you die, and you find out that despite living a sinless, godly life you wind up going to hell with us atheists because of a single, miss-spoken word?

Not sure who handles these contractual things in Heaven (Aren't all the Lawyers in Hell?), but that would be an amusing conversation to overhear.

"What do you mean I'm going to hell? I was baptized, I have the document right here"?

"I'm sorry sir, but during the ceremony the priest conducting the magic says "We Baptize you", instead of "I Baptize you". This is clearly in violation of baptismal code 16ab.

"So I'm going to hell because the Priest said We instead of I"?

"Yes sir, I'm sorry"

"But the all of the Priest who molested children are here in Heaven, how the holy hell is that allowed?

"I'm sorry sir, but please move along as I don't speak to sinners! You need to get in line behind Papasito Bruno, Mags and Recusant...you are all on the next bus to hell"

(Is it just me or is it weird they have busses in Heaven?)

Pretty sure they use hand baskets.  :D

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 16, 2022, 05:02:44 PM

"...You need to get in line behind Papasito Bruno, Mags and Recusant...you are all on the next bus to hell"

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

The lemon looks pleased, though.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

I wonder if the priest who baptized me made that mistake. That would be my get out of RCC free card. Not that I believe it makes a whit of difference. :rofl:

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken