News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

New to forum

Started by Skepticelt, October 06, 2023, 03:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skepticelt

Hi Everyone
   I was pleased to find the happy atheist forum. Grew up in an RC family of ten siblings. I was an altar boy until the second mass when the presiding pervert had to have a squeeze of my junk while donning the frock. It was then my suspicions began to grow as to the nature of this wonderful bastion of morality that was doing so much good in the world that a few pedophiles should be a small price to pay. Especially since they didn't have to pay. No legal ramifications for the perps. They were shuffled around and continued to abuse at other locations. This is all bad enough but the real travesty is that there will be no justice for the perverts. Any ordinary person who did those kind of things would almost certainly be in jail. This went all the way to the top. When they finally admitted they had a "problem" they then went about making amends with the only real god they know money. All of the payee's were required to sign a non disclosure agreement. This is exactly the kind of organization that should be held up as the standard bearer of morality. A sick bunch of greedy tools that have a flock of sheep to continually fleece. The popes apology to the victims is really impactful when non disclosure agreements are enforced. They are the very "evil" against which they claim to stand against. I say actions speak louder than words. I have come through after a through brainwashing and managed to claim a certain amount of normalcy. My greatest wish now is to fraternize with those who choose to live by facts and humanism. It is my hope that perhaps my story will prevent some other folks from going through the events that I endured.The catholic church is one of the most duplicitous organizations on earth. An empire built on lies and social control. I have two words for them and they are the same ones George Clooney had for Trump when he was spouting about the spoiled A list actors of Hollywood. Other than that I am a retired Mechanical inspector. Live in Michigan. Have lived in Houston TX and St. Louis MO as well and done a bit of traveling, mostly for work. Married to a surprisingly tolerant Irish woman. My life is good.

Tank

You found a tolerant Irish woman! I'm impressed. :)

What does a Mechanical Inspector inspect?

Welcome aboard.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Skepticelt. It does seem that the Catholic church has done a fair job of convincing people to abandon mythology. Glad your interaction with the creep was relatively limited. Sounds as if things have gone pretty well for you in general as well. I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!

:spagwelcome:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Skepticelt

Hi. I inspected all manner of transportation equipment for DuPont. Railcars, tank trailers, Intermodal containers and various process equipment. Valves, pipe, vessels, field constructed tanks. I also did 17 years as a boiler inspector. I have been quite lucky. As for the patient wife I couldn't be luckier. She is quite good. She works from home a couple days of the week and a couple days in the office. Waiting for her to retire so we can do a bit of exploring before the dirt nap! Colors of fall are all about here in Michigan. Really pretty here this time of year. Hope things are well in England.

Tank

Quote from: Skepticelt on October 07, 2023, 01:43:19 AMHi. I inspected all manner of transportation equipment for DuPont. Railcars, tank trailers, Intermodal containers and various process equipment. Valves, pipe, vessels, field constructed tanks. I also did 17 years as a boiler inspector. I have been quite lucky. As for the patient wife I couldn't be luckier. She is quite good. She works from home a couple days of the week and a couple days in the office. Waiting for her to retire so we can do a bit of exploring before the dirt nap! Colors of fall are all about here in Michigan. Really pretty here this time of year. Hope things are well in England.

We're heading in to Autumn here as well. The days are getting shorter but we're looking at a 25C day today in London, I live in Leeds 200 miles north. That is silly hot, never known anything like it. I too fortunately found a patient woman, got married in 1980, that feels a long time ago now. 3 rugs rats all grown and gone. 4 rug rat rug rats one who lives in San Francisco who will be one next month, she's cute :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Skepticelt

Enjoy your family. They are the best part of life.

Tank

Quote from: Skepticelt on October 16, 2023, 02:54:07 AMEnjoy your family. They are the best part of life.

Yes they most definitely are.

Tank

What was your worst inspecting failure?

Skepticelt

I sent you a message on this. If you care to share I have no objections.

Tank

Quote from: Skepticelt on October 18, 2023, 10:03:54 PMI sent you a message on this. If you care to share I have no objections.

Will do :) We like to see what our members go through :D

Quote from: Skepticelt on October 16, 2023, 10:28:25 PMOne memorable occasion happened inspecting a boiler at a multistory bldg in Flint MI. The boiler was used for heating domestic water. We are mandated to pull the levers on the safety valves to make sure the are not frozen shut. The pressure required in the system was high in order to reach the upper floors. I pulled the levers and they opened the floodgates that resulted in about 2" of water on the boiler room floor. They have a range in which they must reset. They did reset in specifications but the discharges should have been piped to a sump or drain. The fact that this all seemed foreign to the maintenance guy made me wonder if they had ever been pulled in the past. Clothes got a good steaming, shoes a little squishy but no permanent harm done. I'm sure there are others, but I never had trouble with technical issues. I had to learn some lessons on dealing with people. Overall most people were honest, decent and a pleasure to work with. Doveryai no Proveryai.  I tried to make that Russian proverb applicable when satisfied that I was being told the truth. It was an interesting career. I know a little about a lot of things. I have occasionally thought I might be to skeptical for my own good. Hope things are going well in the UK. Slainte.