News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Boris Johnson

Started by Tank, February 05, 2022, 11:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

NY Times has an impenetrable pay wall for news stories.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on February 12, 2022, 06:07:45 AM
NY Times has an impenetrable pay wall for news stories.

Sorry.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Isn't he the fluffy blonde one that everybody likes?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on February 12, 2022, 05:12:58 PM
Isn't he the fluffy blonde one that everybody likes?

Not everybody.

hackenslash

There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

billy rubin

can we borrow him over here for a bit?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on February 13, 2022, 08:24:24 AM
can we borrow him over here for a bit?

Who? Boris? You're welcome to him!

billy rubin

no

gah

the stupidity of privilege is something that we have plenty of over here. weve had politicians all over dictate draconian covid restrictions as part of their official duties, the matter of factly violate them themselves, in public. repeatedly.

the speaker of our lower house. the governor of california.

what is troubling is not that they violate the rules they create. that would be sort of understandable, if they tried to be sneaky about it. but they do it in the open, like boris, with no comprehension that openly showing that they live by a pattern of blind entitlement might catch them out or be percieved as egregious by the little people they disdain.

in america, we dont have resstrictions strong enough to rein in the oligarchs and politigarchs-- trump and elon musk will continue to openly flout rules that are strictly enforced for others. but you may be able to dump boris.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

just as an example of a simple disregard for the relevance of rules.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/01/tesla-recalls-54k-cars-over-autonomous-rolling-stop-function/

american oligarch elon musk is recalling 54,000 autonomous automobiles that his company programmed to roll through stop signs without stopping. in america, the law is that you stop at a stop sign, period. but tesla actually programmed the vehicles to run the stop sign if the algorhythm did not percieve an obstacle. given tesla's poor record of percieving pedestrians and emergency vehicles as obstacles, this programming was a public menace.

but under musk, traffic laws are optional. he has no perception of the utility of rules to maintain observance of reasons.

a small example of a larger problem.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on February 13, 2022, 03:36:07 PM
just as an example of a simple disregard for the relevance of rules.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/01/tesla-recalls-54k-cars-over-autonomous-rolling-stop-function/

american oligarch elon musk is recalling 54,000 autonomous automobiles that his company programmed to roll through stop signs without stopping. in america, the law is that you stop at a stop sign, period. but tesla actually programmed the vehicles to run the stop sign if the algorhythm did not percieve an obstacle. given tesla's poor record of percieving pedestrians and emergency vehicles as obstacles, this programming was a public menace.

but under musk, traffic laws are optional. he has no perception of the utility of rules to maintain observance of reasons.

a small example of a larger problem.

That's not good at all. Having said that having 4 way stops in the middle of nowhere is ridiculous. Have you driven in the UK?

billy rubin

i havent been on a road in the UK since edward heath. but if you mean roundabouts, i grew up with them in asia. the ones we have in america are bizarre. too small for one thing. and they turn the wrong way.

but the tesla technique was to look at the four way stop-- anywhere -- and run it if no obstacles were detected. in the past, a tesla was unable to identify a pedestrian pushing a bicycle, and killed one in california. they regularly run into parked police and emergency vehicles on public roads, because the algorithm cannot identify them. i have no idea whether a tesla would consistently identify a child in a zebra crossing. or a motorcycle. or a farming implement. or a horse drawn wagon. their record is imperfect.

but in flat western america the land is laid out under a platte system-- one mile grids, for hundreds of square miles. nobody stops at these rural crossings, because people are looking up and down the sides roads for traffic as they go. a tesla looks only at what is in the intersection, and a farmers pickup approaching the intesection at 50 mph from the side  will centerpunch the robot car if it doesnt stop at the sign.

Tank

I was thinking more of the 'Give Way' or possibly 'yield' junction in America.

billy rubin

which type are you meaning? stops or yields? we do have both. box junctions in the urban areas too which americans have difficulty with

personally i prefer unambiguous complete stops rather than any kind of yields, because i dont have to figure out what to do. theres a T-junction in my area that has a stop sign only at the T-- traffic from three directions doesnt need to stop but must yield to another direction based on which lane they are in. i have yet to figure it out consistently. in the dark to a stranger its quite dangerous.

what i try to do at any intersection is gauge my speed accordnig to other traffic and then make sure i reach the intersection last. doing that means i have control over the situation because i have made sure everybody else has the right of way over me. costs me a few seconds but keeps me safely out of ambiguous encounters.