News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Why Atheism?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 29, 2020, 01:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Recusant on July 07, 2023, 03:20:59 AMThe Constitution can be amended but it's difficult to accomplish, and in this instance nearly impossible: It would require the cooperation of the people who represent states like Wyoming.
Or one could strengthen the state and weaken the fed. Add a Con- to the federation.

Obviously not quite that simple, but it would at least be a way of tackling the issue, where people from abovementioned New York don't get to rule those from Wyoming unless Wyoming is in on it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

they were not representative of the people, and their views are less so now.

constitutional originalists forget that the declaration of indepence earlier specified "with the consent of the governed." that is not so today.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

...So why would the governed in Wyoming consent to the possibility of being blanket-overruled by the governed in New York in matters concerning their own affairs?

Democracy is tricky. It's far too easy to end up with the tyranny of the majority, then overcompensate and turn it into the tyranny of some given minority, which is one-step removed from Aristocracy/Oligarchy... Until you remove that step also.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Can an atheist escape politics? It's very unlikely.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: MarcusA on July 14, 2023, 06:57:34 AMCan an atheist escape politics? It's very unlikely.

I don't think belief status has anything to do with.
Just do what Isabel does
Isabel!

MarcusA

Can an atheist escape religion? It's very unlikely.

Tank

Quote from: MarcusA on July 16, 2023, 07:11:04 PMCan an atheist escape religion? It's very unlikely.

By definition an atheist has already escaped religion if they were at some point religious. From my time at the Richard Dawkins Forum the ratio of never-theist atheist to ex-theist atheist was almost exactly 50:50. If that can be extrapolated to the general atheist population half have escaped religions.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

To be rid of politics and religion completely is what I wish for on a fine winter's day.

zorkan

I don't believe bullshit tales.
Like Adam and Eve and Noah's ark.

I don't believe supernatural tales.
Like virgin birth and rising from the dead.

I don't believe ghost stories.
Like saints rising from the grave.

I don't like arrogance.
Like the idea of the god almighty.

I don't like the licence given by the bible to enslave and rape.
I don't like the false promise of immortality.

Getting tired with this.

Tank

You have found your club :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Zorkan, all of us here have either skepticism or outright rejection of supernatural claims.

There is at least one of us who is quietly but seriously angry about the way that American society is being threatened by Christian Nationalists.

The third person in line for becoming the commander in chief of this nation is an outspoken Christian nationalist.  His stated ambition is to make the USA a totally Christian nation.

zorkan

To be a Catholic christian, you have to cherry-pick the Bible.
Like, if you start to mention Noah's Ark the subject will soon be changed on the basis that it's allegorical.

To all other churches the bible is the holy word of god from beginning to end.
Its biggest bullshit story has to be what happened on the 6th day of creation week.
It says all humans were plonked down fully formed.
That must have included all human species, not just Sapiens.
So what were Adam and Eve?

True Christians believe that dinosaurs walked the earth with humans, and Catholics are not Christians.
They don't believe in Big Bang cosmology.
They can't explain if god is on the inside or the outside.
Yet they believe he is everywhere.

Doesn't that remind you of something called the electromagnetic force (the holy ghost)?

PS A few years ago I debated all this on the Worthy Christian Forum, before I was thrown off.
They can't tolerate any awkward questions.

Icarus

cute video with far reaching implications......

Tank

That is fascinating. I think. I'm not that sure now  :o