News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Epitaphs

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, September 16, 2021, 12:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

This thread is for the best epitaphs you have seen on tombstones.

My offering is from some departed soul buried in the Belfalls, Texas cemetery, that I found one wintry day:

"As you are now, I once was;
As I am now, you soon will be."

I like wandering through cemeteries and reading tombstones.  Yes, I know - it's weird. 

Dark Lightning

I got nothing, but I did have a visiting math prof who had a slide show collection of headstones of famous mathematicians from Europe. Kind of weird at a math seminar, but hey, we're all weird in some way.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i keep meaning to go down to the creek to pick out a rock for my grave. when i find one, ill tell the wife to keep it blank.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 16, 2021, 12:10:56 AM
This thread is for the best epitaphs you have seen on tombstones.

My offering is from some departed soul buried in the Belfalls, Texas cemetery, that I found one wintry day:

"As you are now, I once was;
As I am now, you soon will be."

I like wandering through cemeteries and reading tombstones.  Yes, I know - it's weird.

I'm the same...I often ride my bike to stop at the cemetery where my parents are interred (Other family as well), and I often take longs walks looking at the grave markers, and tombstones, especially those in the older section of the cemetery.

I hope you don't mind me posting this here, but I thought of this article by Natalie Rose Richardson from Emergence Magazine when I saw your thread.

As Natalie Rose Richardson searches for her great-grandfather's grave in a historically segregated cemetery, she confronts the American notion of paradise and the walls erected to protect it.

Link to the article Paradise Extended.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

You can either read the article or listen to a recording by the author herself...I did both, as it's an excellent story.

QuoteLandscape architects generally agree on the following definition of "landscape," used by the annual European Landscape Convention, which draws landscape architects from across the globe: "an area, as perceived by people, whose character is the result of the action and interaction of natural and/or human factors." Landscape is perceived by people, an idea of the mind that to some degree is up for interpretation. Land has character: a moral ethic, a capacity to be lacking in integrity or piety, kindness or civility. It is an interaction of geographical and human factors, an interplay of geography with cultural and sociohistorical values. It is complex, it is fraught. Notably, this definition is consistent with other, more political uses of the word—as in a nation's "moral landscape," or a community's "ideological landscape."

The word "paradise" is frequently cited by landscape architects (it already appears three times in the first chapter of Thompson's book). Thompson explains this by noting that landscape architecture, given its preoccupations with aesthetics and pleasure, is linked to "ancient dreams of paradise."

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Ecurb Noselrub

This is great. Thanks.  I recently roamed through a cemetery in Virginia where 2 Presidents and Jeff Davis are buried. Talk about contrast! But it was gorgeous!! Try Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond , VA for a real experience in landscape architecture.