News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What does social media do?

Started by MarcusA, July 04, 2023, 08:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

What does social media do but mess with your mind, your self-esteem.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

billy rubin

it provides data about you to people who do not have your best interests at heart.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on July 04, 2023, 08:47:10 PMit provides data about you to people who do not have your best interests at heart.

:rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

I couldn't have Asmoed that answer much better. :smilenod:

I think I've mentioned this in a couple of posts before, but in the case of social media, it can be worth keeping in mind that you are their product. They want to put clicks on links and eyeballs on ads for their customers, and will deliver to them the product's datasheets "no" questions asked.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

billy rubin

yes.

i paticipate in several conversational forums like this, but nothing else. no snapchat, no facebook, no instagram, no tiktok, no twitter, nothing of that nature.

they can scrape information about me from forums, but thereis lots less to find. i almost never click on second level links, advertizng, or follow rabbit holes.

Recusant

In combination with your own overweening self-regard it can help you part with a significant pile of simoleons, if you have too many. But hey, it can also cost you a small monthly fee--paying for the privilege of being the product, per billy rubin and Asmodean above.  :P

"Elon Musk's X is a black hole of value" | Reuters

QuoteX is still worth something, but not for the people running it. Boss Linda Yaccarino is set to present her plans for the social network formerly known as Twitter to bankers holding nearly $13 billion of its debt, the Financial Times reported. Looming over talks is the likelihood that X's value is substantially less than even that figure.

This week's meeting with seven banks led by Morgan Stanley (MS.N) that supported Elon Musk's $44 billion acquisition of the platform caps off a tumultuous first four months for Yaccarino, a former advertising executive at Comcast-owned (CMCSA.O) NBCUniversal. That includes a contentious interview last week in which she seemed caught off-guard by Musk's announced ambition to charge X users a monthly fee to combat bots.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

The Twitter fiasco will get written up as how not to do it in future business manuals.

As a matter of interest Mrs Tank got invited to Beta test Bluesky the new platform from Jack Dorsey the previous owner and one of the co-creators of Twitter. After it went live she was given a number of tokens to invite friends to join. Those friends who joined were also given tokens and so forth. Apparently Bluesky is a much better environment than Twitter was or now is. It looks like Dorsey has learned the lessons of Twitter and has a war chest of billions thanks to Musk. It'll be interesting to watch this develop.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

You know, I should really make a TL;DR Elon Musk - The Internet Hero rant, though people like Common Sense Sceptic on YouTube have already done a better job than I would have. His better-known ideas are mostly bad from up to multiple crucial angles, and yet to his fandom, the guy is literally Jesus. Walks on water and can do no wrong. Also, turns practical vacuum dynamics into functional hyperloops. Oh yeah, that's right... Scrapped for parts. Nevermind then, I guess.

Sigh. :sad sigh:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

Are we social or asocial media here?
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

Technically, this site is part of social media. And, as we know, when...

Then that's ^^

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.