News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Recommendations

Started by MarcusA, July 31, 2023, 09:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Any recommendations in any medium?
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

Movies (Recent)

Oppenheimer. It's long and a bit talk-heavy, and the score is too intrusive at times, but it is good if taken for what it is. The acting is excellent, good cinematography, it is about a person who lived an interesting life in interesting times. 7/10.

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning. It's a fun action flick. That's about it. It's well-made, well-choreographed, engaging and... Fun. 8/10.

I can give a deeper review of either or both, with or without spoilers, if any-one is inclined to read such.

Books

If you are looking for something under the fantasy/sci-fi umbrella, for me it is, as it ever was, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (Finished by Brandon Sanderson) Don't let that appalling excuse for a TV show put you off them - the books are excellent. I can even recommend the ones with a lot of "filler plot" that progress the story organically between the "important" books.

Philosophy(-ish) and history(-ish)

I recommend something by Yuval Harari for some light and optimistic-like reading. Homo Deus or Sapiens being near the top of that list.

Video games (Recent)

Final Fantasy VII Remake. It's genuinely good. As a fan of the original, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the places and characters represented with modern graphics technology. The story is impressively faithful to the original.

Podcasts and such (Really long ones)

Dungeons and Dragons Drakkenheim campaigns by Dungeon Dudes.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

hemingway

for whom the bell tolls

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

The Asmo prefers Bender's version. "For whom the bone bones."

O, cruel fate, to be thusly boned!
Ask not for whom the bone bones - it bones for thee.

High. Poetry. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

aye

that is the bare bodkin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."