News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Afghanistan

Started by Bad Penny II, August 17, 2021, 02:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

It was known as the place empires go to die, but we went there anyway.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

billy rubin

we had all that we could expect after th efirst two weeks, destrying the al quaeda camps and dispersing the taliban. we should have got out then.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

This is a goddamn disaster and travesty. It didn't have to end this way but it's too late now.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on August 18, 2021, 02:37:28 AM
This is a goddamn disaster and travesty. It didn't have to end this way but it's too late now.

It was always going to end this way, once it started. It doesn't matter when the invaders left Afghanistan, this would still have been the result. IMO, since the peoples of this region have been killing each other over their differences for 5kY, and even though Islam isn't 5kY old, the mutual hatred and killing are going to continue. I will agree that it is a travesty.

Icarus

We should be wary of meddling in cultures with which we can not relate, agree,  or understand.  Destroying our identifiable enemies is one thing, expecting them to revise their mentality is quite another.

Recusant

Quote from: Icarus on August 18, 2021, 04:40:38 AM
We should be wary of meddling in cultures with which we can not relate, agree,  or understand.  Destroying our identifiable enemies is one thing, expecting them to revise their mentality is quite another.

Well said. Though I disagree with you about being able to understand something like the Taliban. They're the usual power-hungry humans, operating under the banner of religious zealotry. Despicable thugs but not mysterious.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

jumbojak

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 18, 2021, 03:08:28 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 18, 2021, 02:37:28 AM

It was always going to end this way, once it started. It doesn't matter when the invaders left Afghanistan, this would still have been the result. IMO, since the peoples of this region have been killing each other over their differences for 5kY, and even though Islam isn't 5kY old, the mutual hatred and killing are going to continue. I will agree that it is a travesty.

No. We didn't have to undercut the Afghan military on the way out by grounding their air force. That's exactly what happened when we stopped letting aircraft contractors in the country. We didn't have to walk out the door with ten thousand Americans scattered around Kabul and the rest of the country. And we certainly didn't have to completely abandon the TENS OF THOUSANDS of Afghan allies who were clinging to planes and falling to their deaths after they fucking took off because THAT is preferable to the alternative.

Our allies, all of them will be hunted, tortured, and brutality murdered, along with their families. We left the Intel on who these people are making it easy for the Taliban to do so. It's sickening. Absolutely sickening.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Recusant

A competent large scale withdrawal? That appears to be something the US military is not capable of carrying out. It looks like they completely miscalculated regarding how well the people they'd trained and equipped would stand up to the Taliban. That would have entailed admitting the possibility that all the lives, work, and billions poured into Afghanistan would produce a swift failure. Instead of making a plan that was robust enough to include a bad case scenario, it seems they believed their own propaganda. It's already ugly and it almost certainly will get worse.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Winding down from a war where accord has not been reached and getting people out is always an issue. I'll put this news clipping here, just for another take on Afghanistan.

Ecurb Noselrub

Biden could have done a better job on the withdrawal. We could never get everyone out, but we could have done what we are doing now before withdrawing our troops.  I have no problem with getting out - it was never going to be an actual democratic nation.  But now it appears we have betrayed our friends, just like we did with the Kurds.  Who will ever want to cooperate with us now?

Icarus

The result of the klutzy withdrawal may have some long term effects here at home. The GOP types will feast on the screw ups of this Democrat administration.  Dems may take a decisive beating in the next two elections, 2022 and 2024.

Let us pray that DJT is not still ambitious on November 2024. With a little bit of luck, the gophers on his golf courses may eat him before the presidential election is held.  Black Mambas in each hole ? Never mind...........If Trump does not run, then DeSantis, Abbot, or Jim Jordon may.  Horrors!

billy rubin

the withdrawal was his idea. he traded 5000 taliban pows, for nothing, as i recall.

he wanted us out by may, but made no efforts to do so

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on August 19, 2021, 10:45:37 PM
The result of the klutzy withdrawal may have some long term effects here at home. The GOP types will feast on the screw ups of this Democrat administration.  Dems may take a decisive beating in the next two elections, 2022 and 2024.

Let us pray that DJT is not still ambitious on November 2024. With a little bit of luck, the gophers on his golf courses may eat him before the presidential election is held.  Black Mambas in each hole ? Never mind...........If Trump does not run, then DeSantis, Abbot, or Jim Jordon may.  Horrors!
OR...Or...or...Marjorie Taylor Greene, Stephen Miller, Ted Cruz, The MyPillow guy!!!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 18, 2021, 08:06:20 PM
Winding down from a war where accord has not been reached and getting people out is always an issue. I'll put this news clipping here, just for another take on Afghanistan.

The Soviet backed regime stumbled on until finally falling in 1992. So basically, the Soviets had a better grasp of a withdrawal then than Biden does now, and that was while facing US backed forces.

jumbojak

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 19, 2021, 05:09:57 PM
Biden could have done a better job on the withdrawal. We could never get everyone out, but we could have done what we are doing now before withdrawing our troops.  I have no problem with getting out - it was never going to be an actual democratic nation.  But now it appears we have betrayed our friends, just like we did with the Kurds.  Who will ever want to cooperate with us now?

No one will be willing to cooperate with us. Right now China is taking the lead in international influence. And if you're a small country it only makes sense to strike deals with China. The US is weak and unreliable.