News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Who Would Have Thought?

Started by Recusant, July 24, 2021, 05:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

For anybody who's been paying attention, this is a cliche come to life. I haven't chronicled the peccadillos of the professional god-botherers as much as I used to. It would have occupied a fair amount of time. Usually I just read about these malignant hypocrites, shrug and move along.

Financial boondoggles in the Vatican? Whatever. Hundreds or thousands of indigenous children in Canada buried anonymously at schools run by religious organisations after being legally kidnapped by the government? Yeah, it figures, I haven't forgotten about Ireland yet. And so it goes. This fucker gets a thread though, just because I feel like it. He was running the organisation that wants to keep President Biden from receiving the holy corpse-bread. They're holier than thou, you know. I'll let a Catholic organ play it for you.

"USCCB [United States Conference of Catholic Bishops] general secretary resigns amid allegations of improper behavior" | Catholic News Agency

QuoteMsgr. Jeffrey Burrill, the general secretary of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, resigned from his post on Tuesday ahead of a media report alleging that he frequented gay bars and private residences while using a popular "hookup" app on his mobile device.

The report, published Tuesday afternoon by The Pillar, a Catholic news site, is based on what it described as an analysis of commercially available app data correlated to Burrill's mobile device. The analysis shows that Burrill used the app Grindr on a near-daily basis during parts of 2018, 2019 and 2020, according to the report.

CNA reported Monday that church officials were bracing for information derived from this type of digital technology to become public.

Grindr is an app that describes itself as "the largest app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people." Grindr users download the app and create a profile where they can post pictures, partner preferences, and other personal information. Grindr users are then notified when another user of Grindr is nearby.

A person can opt to view the profile of the nearby Grindr user, and, if they wish, begin a chat with the user. The app is one of the most popular apps among gay men, and was one of the first large dating apps specifically aimed at men looking to meet other men.

USCCB President Archbishop Jose Gomez announced Burrill's resignation in a memo sent to all U.S. bishops Tuesday. The existence of the memo was first reported by the National Catholic Reporter Tuesday shortly after 10 a.m. EST, roughly two hours before The Pillar published its investigation.

According to Gomez, Burrill was not accused of misconduct with minors, but resigned immediately "to avoid becoming a distraction to the operations and ongoing work of the Conference."

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

How does thought and religion go together?????

Icarus

So what else in new? Priests have an unfortunate reputation for abusing alter boys.  If the priest is obligated  to be chaste, then he is obligated to deny the nature of human urges.  Men being horndogs, after all that is the way God created them, then there is trouble right there in River City.  No not trouble with pool. Seventy SixTrombones ain't gonna fix that little problem.

I have sometimes wondered how the priest manages not to be getting it on with some of his nuns. Nuns surely have some urges. If they manage to put those urges aside.....................May the Pope and the holy trinity bless them.

Tank

It's like you say Rec'. You think you've seen it all and then along comes another example of unbelievable hypocrisy!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on July 24, 2021, 05:13:37 AM
How does thought and religion go together?????

Well, someone has to think up the religion.

Warning, he's going to use a boat analogy, or metaphor or something.

Your religions are like crappily built boats, they're always developing leaks, always needing patching.

Religions sound like computer operating systems.

Shut up!, you're not helping, we're talking boats.

It takes a lot of thought to keep your metaphorical leaky boat afloat.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bluenose

I was brought up catholic right up until the point when I realised it was all bullshit.  I then thought that a lot of religious people were well meaning but deluded.  In recent years I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that religion and especially the various religious hierarchies are actually a malignant force.  This is just (yet another) case in point.  A pox on all their houses.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

I always thought it was funny that the Vatican bank used to be called the "Bank of the Holy Spirit".

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 05, 2021, 08:24:52 PM
I always thought it was funny that the Vatican bank used to be called the "Bank of the Holy Spirit".

If I ever have a wine cellar, I'm gonna put a sign that says that at the entrance.
"Bank of the Holy Spirit".
:notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bluenose

Quote from: Magdalena on August 05, 2021, 10:13:16 PM

If I ever have a wine cellar, I'm gonna put a sign that says that at the entrance.

I'm gonna put that sign on my whisky cabinet!   8) ::) ;D
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

Quote from: Bluenose on August 06, 2021, 12:16:44 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on August 05, 2021, 10:13:16 PM

I'm gonna put that sign on my whisky cabinet!   8) ::) ;D

One day, Drich's god is gonna come to this forum and just...just...

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Ah, the magic jacket schtick. Always good for a laugh.  :lol:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on August 06, 2021, 07:12:38 PM
Ah, the magic jacket schtick. Always good for a laugh.  :lol:
Always.  ;D

Icarus

Here is a low key video suitable for heathens like us.  No biggie, watch when you have time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRT-e2MfaQY

Recusant

As noted above, I had got out of the practice of noting the hypocritical hijinks of the myth-addicted. Went looking for a thread but didn't want to go too far back, so this will do.

Naming your church the International House of Prayer may seem clever (for non-US members see IHOP). To me though it gives the impression that you're in it for the money. Be that as it may, being in it for the money apparently doesn't prevent you from getting some on the side in the time-honored religious way.

"IHOPKC founder steps away from ministry while law firm examines sexual immorality claims" | The Kansas City Star

QuoteThe founder of the International House of Prayer of Kansas City has stepped away from public ministry while a national law firm investigates allegations of sexual immorality against him, the organization's executive director told followers Sunday.

Stuart Greaves, IHOPKC executive director, addressed the accusations against Mike Bickle at a packed service at IHOPKC's Forerunner Church in Grandview.

"Our executive leadership team and Mike Bickle agreed that out of the best interest in the integrity of IHOPKC, Mike will step away from public ministry for an indefinite time, up to and including and until we complete a thorough examination of the allegations and inquiry of the circumstances," Greaves said.

"Mike has agreed to not engage in public ministry, our platform, attend our prayer room, nor engage in social media messaging."

Greaves said IHOPKC had retained Stinson LLP, a law firm with 450 attorneys in 13 cities across the country — including Kansas City — to investigate the allegations. The firm is known for representing sexual abuse survivors, including cases involving clergy.

[. . .]

Bickle, described by Religion News Service as "one of the most influential charismatic Christians in the United States," has not responded publicly to the allegations. He founded IHOPKC as a 24/7 evangelical and missions organization.

With its world headquarters on Red Bridge Road in south Kansas City, IHOPKC draws people from around the world to its university and round-the-clock "prayer room." For years, it has come under criticism by ex-staffers and former followers who accuse it of being cult-like.

[. . .]

The allegations against Bickle surfaced on Oct. 27 when leaders called a meeting to inform staff members. They originally described Bickle's alleged actions as "misconduct," then told followers at a church service two days later that the allegations were "unsettling" and involved "sexual immorality."

IHOPKC leaders have not said whether they have reported the allegations to police. At the Oct. 29 service, they urged those who experienced "traumatic events that are of this nature" to seek out an IHOPKC leader or counselor.

[Continues . . .]
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

This one is particularly silly.

"Baptist pastor, Christian college president apologizes for allowing male speaker with long hair" | Christian Post

QuotePastor John Wilkerson of First Baptist Church of Hammond in Indiana, who also serves as president of Hyles-Anderson College apologized to church members after he was criticized for allowing a man from a local creationist group to address the church and school while sporting hair they considered too long and quoting Scripture from the NIV translation of the Bible.

"Recently, we had a creation seminar hosted here at First Baptist Church of Hammond. With all my heart what I wanted to do is to educate, equip and empower God's people to face and to give ammunition for the fallacies of evolution and humanism that permeates our society," Wilkerson said in a video posted on Instagram.

"Though that was my goal, I grieve to tell you that I probably did not make the best decisions in many arenas. I failed to screen properly what was going to be said or shown in some ways. And I think I hurt many people. I grieve that I embarrassed the First Baptist Church family," he continued. "I think for the Hyles-Anderson College students and the men and women who have sent their students here, if I sent an uncertain sound, I apologize and I sincerely ask your forgiveness. I don't want to cause a distraction. And I certainly don't want to be divisive."

One of the most prominent criticisms of the presentation made by members of the 18-year-old Indiana-based Creation Evidence Expo came from Pastor Allen Domelle of Maranatha Baptist Church in Oklahoma, who is also the founder and editor of the Old Paths Journal.

"There are times my heart breaks, and this is one of those times. This past weekend, November 12, 2023, First Baptist Church in Hammond, Indiana invited a group of men into their church to teach on creation. Then on Monday, these same men went to Hyles-Anderson College and taught the students. These men were not Baptists and do not claim to be Baptists. In fact, one is a member of a Reformed church, and another claimed from their pulpit that he is a Methodist," wrote Domelle in his publication.

He then went on to criticize David Litty, one of the organization's presenters as "a long-haired hippie" who should not be in the pulpit teaching Christians.

"A long-haired hippie teaching in the pulpit is in direct contradiction to Scripture. 1 Corinthians 11:14 says, 'Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?'" wrote Domelle. "I don't know anything about this man, but I do know that to have long hair is a shame. It does not matter what he was going to teach, the fact that he blatantly disobeys God's Word should have alerted anyone to his spiritual discernment and that he is to be disqualified to teach people."

[Continues . . .]

— H. L. Mencken