News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Measurement

Started by Bad Penny II, June 02, 2021, 01:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Why is weights and measures a common phrase, isn't weight a measure? :-\

"
QuoteHow many ml is a pint of beer?
In Australia, a pint of beer is generally 570ml, whereas in the UK it's 568ml. In the US, a pint is 16 fluid ounces, or 473ml.

Hmm, that is quite big our schooner is only 425ml.  A pint of milk was 600ml when I delivered the bottles to darkened doorsteps, through rain and tempest.

The standard of beer bottles was 750ml and half bottles 375.
Spirits were similar, 27 fluid ounces.
The bastards shrink the bottles, the Toblerone people increase the size of the valleys between the choc peaks.

This a thread to do with measurement.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Anne D.

I'm always surprised by how small a "cup" of coffee is "supposed" to be, no matter where you are. Apparently here in the States, a cup of brewed coffee is between 4 (!) and 6 fluid ounces. Other places it's 200 to 250 milliliters, or 6.7 to 8.45 fluid ounces. All of those sound incredibly small. I easily drink upwards of 50 to 60 fluid ounces each day.

Bad Penny II

QuoteOne Australian standard drink is equal to approximately:

285 mL of full strength beer (4.8% alc. vol)
    375mL of mid strength beer (3.5% alc.vol)
    425 mL of low strength beer (2.7% alc. vol)
    100 mL of wine (red - 13% alc. vol, and white – 11.5% alc. vol)
    100 mL of champagne (12% alc. vol)
    30 mL of spirits (40% alc. vol)
    275 mL bottle of ready-to-drink beverage (5% alcohol content)

These measurements  are just stupid, 100ml of wine is a standard drink...Where?
It's a mere snifter
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

A few decades ago the US (under Carter, I think) considered going to the metric system.  None of that for us!! It's too easy. We'd rather deal with numbers like 5280, 16, 32, 36, etc.  If everyone would just learn American English and American measures, it would be better.  I promise.

billy rubin

i buy metric tape measures here in the states because theyre easier. who wants to take an exhaust pipe 19 and 17/64ths inches and try to cut it in half?

when i worked in publishing the layout people all used pica rulers because it was easier than inches. they just ignored the points.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."