News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

questions on Ny thing

Started by billy rubin, May 20, 2021, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

sometimes a question will cpme to you of nowhere

first, what is the largest piece ofear wax e ver remoeved fom a human ear?

the answer is 2.5cm

second, wh would someone make a vidioi about ir?

and why do my vowels disappear

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

i m home out of the truck

thank heavens

and i have three chidren in the house discussing whether soaking ones testincles in soy sauce is a tasteable experience.

i have explained that the answer is irrelevant, because i will not soak my testicles in soy sauce whether i can taste it or not, but that has not slowed the conversation.

has anybody here ever tatsed soy sauce by soaking their genitals in it?

gender is irrelevant in this i think

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on February 19, 2022, 05:17:34 AM

thank heavens

and i have three chidren in the house discussing whether soaking ones testincles in soy sauce is a tasteable experience.

i have explained that the answer is irrelevant, because i will not soak my testicles in soy sauce whether i can taste it or not, but that has not slowed the conversation.

No. Neither my testicles nor somebody else's.

Hermes'?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2022, 08:37:29 AM

thank heavens

Hermes'?

Yes, literally hundreds of times, but without any condiments, apart from the occasional flavoured lube. I am partial to just plain old, run-of the-mill, unadorned oral sex.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 19, 2022, 08:49:01 AM

thank heavens

Hermes'?

Yes, literally hundreds of times, but without any condiments, apart from the occasional flavoured lube. I am partial to just plain old, run-of the-mill, unadorned oral sex.

I loath flavoured lube. Some self-hating bastard must have invented it.  :puke:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2022, 09:19:03 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on February 19, 2022, 08:49:01 AM

thank heavens

Hermes'?

I loath flavoured lube. Some self-hating bastard must have invented it.  :puke:

Me too! I am not too fond of the smell of poppers either, but they are useful.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

why does the dog come and wake me up on my first day off to demand to be let outside

goes outside for ten minutes, then demands to be let back in

so he can run into the living room, puke on the floor,

then lie down on his blanket and look at me?

Magdalena

I have a question.

Why doesn't the po-po shoot a suspect in the arm or the leg to immobilize him/her, rather than kill them?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

Easy answer. They shoot for the center of mass, because the chances of immobilizing someone by shooting them in an extremity are markedly reduced (especially if they are on drugs), not to mention possibly missing the moving limbs and at least potentially injuring an innocent bystander. You've likely never been in a situation where a person high on drugs or dead-set against being taken into custody charged towards you, and I hope you never will be. The 21 foot limit at which a police officer will likely use deadly force comes from studies of reaction time and speed of the assailant. If someone proceeds to charge towards an officer, they have reaction time to deal with, and the momentum of the attacker. Believe it or not, several shots to the torso aren't guaranteed fatal, either, so it's not really "shoot to kill".

Magdalena

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 20, 2022, 02:15:39 AM
Easy answer. They shoot for the center of mass, because the chances of immobilizing someone by shooting them in an extremity are markedly reduced (especially if they are on drugs), not to mention possibly missing the moving limbs and at least potentially injuring an innocent bystander. You've likely never been in a situation where a person high on drugs or dead-set against being taken into custody charged towards you, and I hope you never will be. The 21-foot limit at which a police officer will likely use deadly force comes from studies of reaction time and speed of the assailant. If someone proceeds to charge towards an officer, they have the reaction time to deal with, and the momentum of the attacker. Believe it or not, several shots to the torso aren't guaranteed fatal, either, so it's not really "shoot to kill".
OK.
Thank you for answering.

"...shots to the torso aren't guaranteed fatal..."

So, they go for the shoulder?
The hip?
Right?
:deadpan:

Because it doesn't look like they do either.

"especially if they are on drugs"
What if they aren't?

"reaction time"
Is it the same if the suspect is just holding a knife?

"injuring an innocent bystander."
Would that be a nosy person standing where they shouldn't when guns are locked and loaded and pointed everywhere?

I just find it hard to believe that the police department finds it difficult to not kill an innocent person until proven guilty in a court of law. And even then, it's not their job to execute them.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

I'm not in a position to tell you where anyone should shoot someone to make it so that that person fails to attack and possibly kill them. Shoulder, hip? Nope, those don't include center of mass, they are at the edges. Though I expect that bullets hit those areas when the shit hits the fan. As far as, "especially if they are on drugs", I'd expect that if a person was acting in an irrational way, (and I will say that I am not qualified to say what that entails), it would be a judgement call on-scene by trained police. As for "nosy people who are where they shouldn't be", please understand that some people could just be walking by when the shit hits the fan. Nothing "nosy" about them. That happens all the time. My FiL had a scanner that monitored fire and police frequencies and he used to take his daughter (now my wife) to those scenes to see the aftermath of the fires or shootings. That's stupid, imho.

It isn't the police department's job to execute people, if that's what you are alluding to. Whatever situation there is that leads up to a shooting certainly isn't some sort of sanctioned execution.

billy rubin

sometimes it is.

in america, being a cop gives you a license to kill.

look at that chicago pig who stepped out of car and shot that kid 16 times in the next 8 seconds, i think?

he emptied the magazine the instant he arrived.

look at the other one who killed the 12 year old in the playground who had a toy gun.

for a lot of thugs, joining the local police is a fun way to hurt people and get paid to do it.

Icarus

My small city has about 250 cops. There may be two or three of them who are trigger happy.  My department chief has no hesitation in firing them if he determines that they actually want to prove their manhood....or ladyhood, by  unnecessarily shooting a suspect.

On the other hand, my cops are well trained in the use of firearms and they have occasionally been forced into a situation where firing their weapons was a matter of life or death.

It is not easy to hire good candidates for police work. The personal risk is high and the pay is not all that great.  Recently two cops from New York city applied to my police department for a job.  They were both accepted and became rookie police officers even though they both had several years experience at NYC PD.   Apparently they both had New York mentality that made them overbearing and possibly dangerous.  They have both been fired and have perhaps headed back to Gotham.

None of my cops are inclined to shoot unless absolutely necessary. One of the reasons is that the bad guys can often shoot back. Another reason is that there is hell to pay in the courts, a huge amount of provable evidence has to be presented, the cop is put on administrative leave until the case is decided, his or her firearms are taken from them.  The shooting goes on their record whether they killed the other person or not. Bad rap.

billy rubin

here's part of the problem:

QuoteCourt OKs Barring High IQs for Cops

N E W   L O N D O N,  Conn., Sept. 8, 2000 -- A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.
. . .

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Jordan alleged his rejection from the police force was discrimination. He sued the city, saying his civil rights were violated because he was denied equal protection under the law.

But the U.S. District Court found that New London had "shown a rational basis for the policy." In a ruling dated Aug. 23, the 2nd Circuit agreed. The court said the policy might be unwise but was a rational way to reduce job turnover.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

police work requires certain skills, but high cognitive ability is a drawback. in my opinion, this is one reason why too many police officers shoot innocent people, threaten bystanders, make bad decisions in crisis situations, and in general behave as if they were too stupid to do their job correctly. its because they are.

Magdalena

I think we've talked about good cops, bad cops, smart ones, dumb ones, kind ones, abusive ones, thugs, violent, and gang members joining the force just to abuse their power to murder "in the name of the law."

...But, I just want to know if it's possible to immobilize a suspect without killing them. DL made it sound as if it's something impossible and even dangerous to a lot of people. I don't know much about guns, but there are lasers, right? Can't they aim at a leg with a laser with accuracy? Or is it that they just don't want to?