News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Slaughterbots

Started by Tank, February 27, 2021, 12:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 28, 2021, 03:29:39 AM
Quote from: Recusant on February 28, 2021, 03:04:49 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 28, 2021, 01:11:40 AM
FWIW, there are already videos of guys with drones (radio-controlled, ofc) who have armed them with shot shells and shot at things. I've seen that sort of video, years ago. AI is pretty far away from that, but a machine could have a preset routine installed in memory that could execute a rudimentary program. I wrote number-crunching code decades ago, and some of the improvements in said coding are simply breathtaking, 20 years later.

There was a fellow (or team, rather) making CGI videos supposedly showing drones armed with automatic weapons. Of course the laws of physics were ignored, but it made for intriguing viewing. I haven't checked back to see if he's still on YouTube--he uses a fake Russian/Eastern European accent.

It's not out of the realm of possibility though. A gun with minimum recoil might work for single shots. However I think a drone trying to hold a bead on a target with even short bursts couldn't deliver enough power to the props quickly enough to counteract the propulsive effect of bullets being sent on their way.

Agreed. I think that that drone got off one shot, in the video I saw. It has been several years, so I'll bet that the tech has improved since then.

Also, purely in a physics sense, the little bots are going to have have a fair amount of mass, in order to ensure that they don't just flutter back when the explosive charge goes off. If one sets a box of ammunition off, for instance, the brass casings and slugs just kind of bounce around. Holding the casing in the chamber and keeping the slug in the barrel long enough to get up to speed require a comparatively much heavier firearm. In the case of the alleged "SlaughterBots", if a needle-sized projectile was used, it could do serious damage, but not necessarily immediate death. That's why that vignette was "Science Fiction". :smilenod:

How about high-energy lasers? Like in sci-fi movies. :notsure: Would there be recoil?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

No measurable recoil, but unless the laser's energy was stored in a capacitor type battery, the drone would have to be pretty big to carry a conventional battery. That's what is so attractive :rolleyes: about explosives. You could blind a person easily, though that's not necessarily lethal. Do it while they're driving a motor vehicle, and it's no longer "surgical", because innocent bystanders could be injured as well.

Old Seer

My main interest is the mentality in support of the concept. A swarm of mini bots enter a class room and kills what appears to be innocent children. What this implies to me is, they want the ability to kill any they choose denoting getting rid of anyone they deem worthless to a cause without being able to find who sent the bots. It tells me what the rich think of the people in general, it's only they who could afford such plans. The common person isn't likely to pay for a mini bot when it's more affordable to acquire a firearm to do the deed. The video shows who would have the finances to afford such attack- only the rich, corporations and governments.  The video tells us the plan, not the who dunits.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

Quote from: Old Seer on February 28, 2021, 02:42:34 PM
My main interest is the mentality in support of the concept. A swarm of mini bots enter a class room and kills what appears to be innocent children. What this implies to me is, they want the ability to kill any they choose denoting getting rid of anyone they deem worthless to a cause without being able to find who sent the bots. It tells me what the rich think of the people in general, it's only they who could afford such plans. The common person isn't likely to pay for a mini bot when it's more affordable to acquire a firearm to do the deed. The video shows who would have the finances to afford such attack- only the rich, corporations and governments.  The video tells us the plan, not the who dunits.

you are correct. that is the way the world works.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Old Seer

Quote from: billy rubin on February 28, 2021, 06:10:52 PM
Quote from: Old Seer on February 28, 2021, 02:42:34 PM

you are correct. that is the way the world works.
I was about to post here  and changed my thoughts. Logged a question to friends to take a look at the video and posting to get their take on the subject. When I realized it may take time to get an answer back I decided to wait till then. When I Xed out it posted---I don't know why, I didn't click the post button.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.