News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

It's Sunday. What are you going to do today?

Started by Tank, February 14, 2021, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I have been 'Wombling' for the last couple of months around my local area. I have collected bags and bags of old rubbish blown and part buried in the woods and undergrowth. I found my first 'massager' today! :rofl:

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 16, 2021, 03:38:19 PM
I have been 'Wombling' for the last couple of months around my local area. I have collected bags and bags of old rubbish blown and part buried in the woods and undergrowth. I found my first 'massager' today! :rofl:

:rofl: Now even the woods and undergrowth have lost their innocence! :lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

I have to save Buttercup from the clutches of Prince Humperdinck.

Tank

Well today is the Monaco Grand Prix. Sometimes fantastic, sometimes boring. Louis Hamilton is 7th on the grid which guarantees some nail biting racing today!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on May 23, 2021, 08:15:17 AM
Well today is the Monaco Grand Prix. Sometimes fantastic, sometimes boring. Louis Hamilton is 7th on the grid which guarantees some nail biting racing today!

Hurray, Max Verstappen won!
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on May 24, 2021, 09:04:18 AM
Quote from: Tank on May 23, 2021, 08:15:17 AM

Hurray, Max Verstappen won!

And he now leads the drivers championship and Red Bull lead the constructors championship, by 1 point! But the race was crap. Not a single on track over take, not one!

billy rubin

what are the cars? engines? rules?

i read in wiki that mcclaren hasthe most wins.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on May 24, 2021, 09:38:08 PM
what are the cars? engines? rules?

i read in wiki that mcclaren hasthe most wins.

Four wheels and rear wheel drive.
1.6L V6 turbo hybrid at 650bhp internal combustion + 350bhp electrical boost for part of any lap. 4 engines and gearboxes per season.
Go fastest, Finish first.

:D

Mercedes has won the last 7 Championships in a row. 6 of those were won by Lewis Hamilton who now has join highest number of championships at 7 with Michael Schumacher.

billy rubin

what about aero?

i see thst theyve got a pretty complex wing

what else can they do with aerodynamics?

maybe better, what are tbey forbidden to do?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on May 25, 2021, 03:23:28 PM
what about aero?

i see thst theyve got a pretty complex wing

what else can they do with aerodynamics?

maybe better, what are tbey forbidden to do?

Aero is anything you want within imaginary boxes around the car. There is a maximum allowed degree of flexibility in all component parts. That is currently a bone of contention as one team has been pushing the limit on flexibility so new stiffer regs have been introduced. The point is that at high speed where downforce isn't so critical but drag is. The flexibility flattened the rear wing too much so the car had a lower drag at high speed.

The shape and minimum height of the floor pan is highly regulated. When this was not so the cars could bottom out over a large area leading to a catastrophic lose of downforce on high speed corners. This resulted in the death of Ayrton Senna in 1994.

My son was deeply involved with aerodynamics for 3 years at McLaren. His speciality at the time was fluidic simulations of airflow around the car. To test the accuracy of the simulations the cars are fitted with 'aero rakes' on the first practice of each race and at some of the testing sessions. If you look at the picture below you'll see that at each intersection and along the horizontal and vertical bars of the aero rake there are lots of little bumps, these are pressure sensors. They check the simulated pressures against the measured pressures to calibrate the simulations.

billy rubin

tbats facinating.afarsuperior technique tban windtunnellig. cheaper as well.

itsinteresting thathes using a canard. inmotorcycling  anything ahead of the rider is highly scrutinized, because putting the center  of pressure ahead og tbe centrr of gravity results in instabity in crosswinds.

no more NSU dustbins, for example

https://images.app.goo.gl/YqSp7ah1VWMNPqMSA

i needto look at more pictures obviously the intent is downforce on the front wheels, but im curious as to what they were thinking

Tank

But the aero on the bike has nothing at the back to counter the effect of the front. And it has no inherent lateral stability to counter a side wind.

There is a lot of talk of simplifying the designs of the front wings. They have become so sophisticated they are very adversely effected by the dirty air coming off the car in front. It stops continuous close chasing with the car in front.

The rear aerofoils are allowed one moving/powered element known as a Drag Reduction System (DRS). All the tracks have one or two DRS zones. If car A gets within 1 second of car B at a timing point before the DRS zone it is allowed to activate its DRS system at the start of the next DRS zone and deactivate it at the end of the zone. This gives the trailing car a big drop in drag and thus increase in top speed. In the past it was relatively easy to catch the car in front due to the tow effect. But it was sometimes near impossible to pass. It's now easier to get past, not automatic, but easier.

Tyres are also interesting. There are 5 grades of tyre from soft to hard. At each track 3 types are allowed. At Monaco, a slow twisty track, grades 1, 2 and 3 are used. At a fast track like Monza grades 3, 4 and 5 are used. So grade 3 can be the hardest at one track and the softest at another. Each car must use at least 2 grades of tyre in a race. Which means there is at least one compulsory pit stop. The world record for a pit stop is currently 1.82 seconds and is held by Red Bull. Pit stops over 2.5 seconds are considered poor.

billy rubin

thats amazing

motorcycle aero is destinedto stayfairly primitive because the most drag is causdd by tbe rider. even if hetucks in behind afairing his body still sucks the machinebackwards

therez tweaks. people try vortex gendrators, and windows to loerr side forces, but after you hang a bubble on the front the rest is mostly cosmetic

Tank

Memeing Mags idea!

Then off to some friends for lunch :)

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on June 13, 2021, 10:53:00 AM
Memeing Mags idea!

Then off to some friends for lunch :)

Whenever I have a brilliant original thought I do a Google search and find its already been thought, then I drink some beer.

Every thought you could possibly think has already been thought by a fricken dinosaur and dismissed by the rest of them as fatuous, I hate them.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.