News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Searching for a name for new puppy

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 27, 2021, 02:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Lago........OK, but please not Mara-Lago.

Silver, I suspect that you are aware that German Shephards have a high incidence of hip dysplasia. Responsible breeders, especially expensive breeders, have their pups carefully x-rayed to determine whether the hip socket tissue and bone is normal.  Dysplasia can occur even when both parents are perfectly normal.

Dysplasia is much more likely to occur in larger breeds of dogs. Less prevalent, but not unheard of, in smaller breeds.   My beloved Irish Setter, Molly, was dysplastic.  I spent a small fortune for a surgical procedure and the ensuing physical therapy that let her be able to run and play.  It worked for several years but she finally succumbed to the misfortune of her anatomical flaws. Dear God I loved that beautiful red girl.  She was my constant companion.

Where I go, dog follows
Where I stop, dog settles
When I am lost, dog finds me
When I am joyful, dog joins me
Who I am, dog knows
What I need, dog becomes

Please be sure to discuss this with the breeder. 

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 29, 2021, 03:03:20 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 29, 2021, 04:23:59 AM
Cerberus? Maybe not — I assume the dog only has one head.

I love these mythological names, but Cerberus is too long.  :(

:lol: I sure hope he has only one head!

i believe one of the customary translations of cerberus is

spot.

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 29, 2021, 08:01:57 PM
Lago........OK, but please not Mara-Lago.

Silver, I suspect that you are aware that German Shephards have a high incidence of hip dysplasia. Responsible breeders, especially expensive breeders, have their pups carefully x-rayed to determine whether the hip socket tissue and bone is normal.  Dysplasia can occur even when both parents are perfectly normal.

Dysplasia is much more likely to occur in larger breeds of dogs. Less prevalent, but not unheard of, in smaller breeds.   My beloved Irish Setter, Molly, was dysplastic.  I spent a small fortune for a surgical procedure and the ensuing physical therapy that let her be able to run and play.  It worked for several years but she finally succumbed to the misfortune of her anatomical flaws. Dear God I loved that beautiful red girl.  She was my constant companion.

Where I go, dog follows
Where I stop, dog settles
When I am lost, dog finds me
When I am joyful, dog joins me
Who I am, dog knows
What I need, dog becomes

Please be sure to discuss this with the breeder.

Oh, it's not Lago, but Iago, with an I :grin:

Yes, I'm aware of the hip and elbow dysplasia issue, my last German Shepherd had it in her later years. That's why I bought a working-line pedigree GSD (they're closer to the original dogs bred in Germany by the founder of the breed), and not the show line dog with the sloped back and structural issues. IMO, those breeders of those show line dogs are destroying this awesome breed.  :( 

Here's a pic of the visual differences:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on January 29, 2021, 08:54:45 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 29, 2021, 03:03:20 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 29, 2021, 04:23:59 AM
Cerberus? Maybe not — I assume the dog only has one head.

I love these mythological names, but Cerberus is too long.  :(

:lol: I sure hope he has only one head!

i believe one of the customary translations of cerberus is

spot.

:rofl: Sounds legit!

Randy

"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

Meaning & History
Latinized form of the Greek Κέρβερος (Kerberos), which possibly meant "spotted". In Greek myth this was the name of the three-headed dog that guarded the entrance to Hades.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/cerberus

struth

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

Silver I agree that the "show line" profile of the GSD is not the best of options.  I do not like that look very much but it does give the dog the appearance of speed.   I seriously doubt that the old time Schutshund breeders opted for that kind of anatomy.

My police GSD K9s cost a prince's ransom  (about 10 to 15 K)  and they do not generally look like the show type. They are all out for business, agility, speed, intelligence, and unwavering loyalty to their handler.

My police department has about 10 K9 (dog) officers. The Lakeland PD K9 unit has won the national championship K9 trials several times. I am really proud of them.  More than one of their dogs is a Malinois, not a GSD.  The Mals have a different set of behavior patterns but they are equally as efficient in search, find, and withhold duties.  They are  generally a few pounds smaller than the GSD but still a factor to be reckoned with for the bad guys.  Both the GSDs and the Mals are often helicopter transported and have no problem with the noise and tippy activity of the Heli.

A Mal was on the mission when our elite military killed Osama Bin Laden. His duty was to make sure that no one escaped the compound where Osama was hiding.  Pretty grim stuff but that is the way the world and its' humans are so seriously fucked up.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 29, 2021, 03:02:58 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 29, 2021, 02:14:55 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 29, 2021, 01:34:02 AM
"OFF THE COUCH!" ;D Since we let ours up on the couch, probably not a good call...

:lol:

Joy responds more to "No!" than to her own name. I wonder why... :notsure:

:grin:

That reminds me of a cartoon I saw many years ago, with a child in it, tagged, "Young child caught in a 'no' storm". :grin:

True story. I have a sister, Vivian, she is 15 years older than me. When I was 2 to 3 somebody asked me my name. Apparently I replied Viverchris.  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

After much back and forth, we've settled on a name! :grin: Iago it is.   ;D Thanks for all the suggestions and for making this a fun thread! :grin:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on January 30, 2021, 01:14:56 AM
Meaning & History
Latinized form of the Greek Κέρβερος (Kerberos), which possibly meant "spotted". In Greek myth this was the name of the three-headed dog that guarded the entrance to Hades.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/cerberus

struth

:o

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 30, 2021, 04:31:12 AM
Silver I agree that the "show line" profile of the GSD is not the best of options.  I do not like that look very much but it does give the dog the appearance of speed.   I seriously doubt that the old time Schutshund breeders opted for that kind of anatomy.

My police GSD K9s cost a prince's ransom  (about 10 to 15 K)  and they do not generally look like the show type. They are all out for business, agility, speed, intelligence, and unwavering loyalty to their handler.

My police department has about 10 K9 (dog) officers. The Lakeland PD K9 unit has won the national championship K9 trials several times. I am really proud of them.  More than one of their dogs is a Malinois, not a GSD.  The Mals have a different set of behavior patterns but they are equally as efficient in search, find, and withhold duties.  They are  generally a few pounds smaller than the GSD but still a factor to be reckoned with for the bad guys.  Both the GSDs and the Mals are often helicopter transported and have no problem with the noise and tippy activity of the Heli.

A Mal was on the mission when our elite military killed Osama Bin Laden. His duty was to make sure that no one escaped the compound where Osama was hiding.  Pretty grim stuff but that is the way the world and its' humans are so seriously fucked up.

I don't like the look of the "frog-legged" show line  GSD either. It looks deformed. It may give an appearance of speed but they don't look so stable in their gait.

I paid US$549,23 for the puppy, besides the cost of two additional vaccines and his food. US$549,23 doesn't look like much but that's equivalent to 3,000 of local currency, which is more than my monthly grant money.  :money: Why did I agree to pay that much? Exactly because I wanted a healthier dog than my last GSD (which I got from a store).

I loved my last GSD dearly, when I laid eyes on that poop-covered puppy in a metal cage I fell in love with it and took her home. She was ill, and developed parvovirus soon after (unless she was already sick when I took her home, no way of knowing now). The money I had saved (I paid R$100 for her, equivalent to US$18,31 today) by buying from a store quickly blew up into thousands, and she almost died. Twelve years later she lost the use of her hind legs and thousands more were spent trying to ameliorate her condition, until the inevitable choice to finally put her to rest was made.

When I adopted Joy it was the same thing. I adore Joy, but in the past 2 months I have spent upwards of  RS$5,000 (US$915,38) on her because of her illness. I'm certain she came to me sick. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Now I'd rather shell out a huge amount of money for a puppy from a responsible breeder if that means it is less likely to develop certain diseases afterwards. And working-line GSD are less likely in that regard.

I thought about getting a mongrel as they are way less prone to suffer from genetic diseases, but I'm an incurable fan of the GSD breed.  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 30, 2021, 08:36:06 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 29, 2021, 03:02:58 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 29, 2021, 02:14:55 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 29, 2021, 01:34:02 AM
"OFF THE COUCH!" ;D Since we let ours up on the couch, probably not a good call...

:lol:

Joy responds more to "No!" than to her own name. I wonder why... :notsure:

That reminds me of a cartoon I saw many years ago, with a child in it, tagged, "Young child caught in a 'no' storm". :grin:

True story. I have a sister, Vivian, she is 15 years older than me. When I was 2 to 3 somebody asked me my name. Apparently I replied Viverchris.  ;D

Icarus

Silver you have gotten a really good deal for the money that you paid.

A good quality GSD in the U.S. is in the four figure range.  The Bernese Mountain Dog  that I wanted from a reliable, knowledgeable, breeder was almost $3000.  :money:

I wish you, Joy, and Lago the best of eventual outcomes surrounded by plenty of love for one another. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 31, 2021, 12:30:35 AM
Silver you have gotten a really good deal for the money that you paid.

A good quality GSD in the U.S. is in the four figure range.  The Bernese Mountain Dog  that I wanted from a reliable, knowledgeable, breeder was almost $3000.  :money:

I wish you, Joy, and Lago the best of eventual outcomes surrounded by plenty of love for one another.

R$3000 (local currency) is still 3 grand, it is in the four-figure range:-\. That's about three minimum wages (40 hours/week) here in Brazil.  I don't spend that kind of money on fixed monthly bills. That's what you pay to rent a good house in an affluent neighbourhood here.

And I bought a male pup. Females from that breeder are 3,500 bucks.   :twitch:

But anyway, I believe it's money well spent. :grin: Like I said in a previous post, I want a good quality GSD dog.

Randy

Call him "Stop That". You'll probably be saying that a lot and he'll eventually respond to it anyway thus killing two birds with one stone.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg