News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

what'ss for dinner?

Started by billy rubin, December 29, 2020, 10:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

so what sort of tools do you use to cook with?

im lost without the universal cast iron pan

thee are my 8, 10, and 12-inch pans. ive had various pans over the years but these have stuck with me for twent or tirty, i think. ive had smaller, and theyre too small to get a utensil underneath an egg. much bigger and you have to finess keeping liquid or semisolid stuff in one place. the 10 inch is my go-to pan when im by myself, because its light enough fo me to manipulate with one hand. the twelve is a bit too heavy.

but when im making something for more than me, i go to the 15-inch

this one is to big for anything unless im making curry or cooking something large. or i could use it to stun marauding grizzlies without much assistance. it wa useful when the kids were all at home and i was cooking for seven. at least when they would eat what i made. even now ill put in two chili peppers-- just two-- and someone will bitch.

theres a wok under the cupboard too, but ive found that i can do just about anything with a cast iron pan that i can do with a wok, with more even heating.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

We have stainless cookware with aluminum bottoms (outside) for most cooking, and some Miracle Maid stuff my wife bought before we met. The stainless/aluminum cookware we got as a wedding present. My wife also gave me a complete set of Loge cast iron cookware when I was a volunteer leader for the Boy Scouts because I was learning Dutch Oven cooking.

As for dinner, probably fish on the grill. Tomorrow it'll be boneless leg of lamb roasted on a spit.   :let'seat:

No one

Butter poached puppy brains
Kitten Newberg
Dauphinoise potatoes
Roasted Asparagus

Wash it all done with some vintage infant blood. Circa, 1774ish.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: No one on April 08, 2023, 04:30:33 PMButter poached puppy brains
Kitten Newberg
Dauphinoise potatoes
Roasted Asparagus

Wash it all done with some vintage infant blood. Circa, 1774ish.

Sounds great, but the asparagus will make your pee stink.

billy rubin

asparagus pollen is bright red

Asmodean

I'm what you might call a boring diner. I did, however, find some nice pre-made fried noodles at my local grocery store. Spent Easter testing different combinations of those with heated dead animals.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Well it's yesterday now. But I gave our new kitchen its first full workout with a roast dinner for four. Generally pleased with the result given I had never roasted anything in a fan assisted electric oven before. It cooked a little quicker than I was used to but the large glass front and lighting let me see the lamb shoulder cooking. The potatoes roasted beautifully.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Yesterday evening I had grilled lamb fillet with a cucumber salat and potato gratin.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on April 11, 2023, 10:10:54 AMWell it's yesterday now. But I gave our new kitchen its first full workout with a roast dinner for four. Generally pleased with the result given I had never roasted anything in a fan assisted electric oven before. It cooked a little quicker than I was used to but the large glass front and lighting let me see the lamb shoulder cooking. The potatoes roasted beautifully.

I'm pleased for you.

He's not Tank, he has the look, don't trust him, he's set to stab you in the arse with the rotisserie forky thing.

That's unfair, I was only going to ask why you didn't build the possibly wooden parts of your kitchen yourself, small things are nice but, you could have made that kitchen.  You could have cooked that lamb amidst the kitchen you made.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Welp, spitless lamb. This new grill isn't configured for it. Roasted it on the grill, instead. That and baked potatoes and some greens.

billy rubin

ive gone vegan again. i just cant stomach any more meat.

wont change much. just no eggs and no milk. i already avoid the other stuff.

hard to do because i dont have time to cook in the mornings. but ill figure something out

ill be taking the worm out of the mezcal now, i suppose.

MarcusA

Nothing, I'm having nothing for dinner again.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Dark Lightning

Yesterday is was grilled salmon, baked potatoes and green salad. Today, braised chicken. I'll have to check the vegetation.

billy rubin