News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Harrods mega-spender loses (UK) Supreme Court challenge

Started by Tank, December 21, 2020, 05:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Harrods mega-spender loses Supreme Court challenge

"The Supreme Court has rejected an attempt by a woman who spent £16m in Harrods to overturn the UK's first Unexplained Wealth Order (UWO).

Zamira Hajiyeva, wife of a jailed banker, may now lose her £12m London home - and a separate golf course - if she can't explain her riches.

The court said her challenge to the UWO raised no arguable point of law.

Mrs Hajieyva's husband is in jail in Azerbaijan for embezzling millions of pounds from a state bank."

This sets an interesting precedent for the criminals who launder money in the UK.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

This can only be a good thing, like the gang guy cited in the article. Al Capone went to prison for tax evasion because all the killing that went on couldn't be pinned to him.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 21, 2020, 06:52:59 PM
This can only be a good thing, like the gang guy cited in the article. Al Capone went to prison for tax evasion because all the killing that went on couldn't be pinned to him.

Agreed.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

Does Harrod's have to give any of that money back, since it likely came from criminal activity?

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 21, 2020, 09:43:48 PM
Does Harrod's have to give any of that money back, since it likely came from criminal activity?

Possible but unlikely. You can't buy some high ticket items like cars for cash without a proof of the origin of the cash. If the money comes via a card transaction or bank transfer there are no limits. I can't see Harrod's turning their noses up at cash, particularly given their large middle eastern customer base, but they wouldn't like to get a reputation as a dodgy business.

Ecurb Noselrub

We visited Harris's in 2006.  Way too pricey for me.  I did enjoy their oyster bar, however.

billy rubin

way back in the dark ages i attended the american school in london, a high school that expelled me after i was caught smoking pot in the girl's restroom one afternoon.

so i attended the balance of that year at the overseas community school. i cant remember the station, but when i got out of the tube the shortest way to the school was to cut through harrods.

one memorable day i was walking through the toy section and discovered this cool wind-up bird the size of a sparrow hawk that flew by actually flapping its wings. i was looking at it when a nice employee in coat and tie came up and asked if i was interested in seeing it work. he wound the thing up and set it loose over the shelves of the toy section and it took off like a proverbial bat out of hell, looping over eeverybody's heads from department to department until it ran out of rubber band and crashed into a dishwaher or something. the world needs more adventurous department store employees lik ethat young man.

i was impressed but had no money to buy one. i'd like to have one now. they were magnificnet

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on December 24, 2020, 02:39:24 AM
way back in the dark ages i attended the american school in london, a high school that expelled me after i was caught smoking pot in the girl's restroom one afternoon.

so i attended the balance of that year at the overseas community school. i cant remember the station, but when i got out of the tube the shortest way to the school was to cut through harrods.

one memorable day i was walking through the toy section and discovered this cool wind-up bird the size of a sparrow hawk that flew by actually flapping its wings. i was looking at it when a nice employee in coat and tie came up and asked if i was interested in seeing it work. he wound the thing up and set it loose over the shelves of the toy section and it took off like a proverbial bat out of hell, looping over eeverybody's heads from department to department until it ran out of rubber band and crashed into a dishwaher or something. the world needs more adventurous department store employees lik ethat young man.

i was impressed but had no money to buy one. i'd like to have one now. they were magnificnet

I remember those birds. My favourite Harrods department was the food hall, and in that the cheese section, where I could never leave without spoiling myself with some variety I'd never tried before. I was also within walking distance, so that happened quite often!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 23, 2020, 10:43:51 PM
We visited Harris's in 2006.  Way too pricey for me.  I did enjoy their oyster bar, however.
If you care about the price tag you don't shop in Harrod's.

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on December 24, 2020, 02:39:24 AM

Do you think it was easy to take apart Billy and put back together? I wouldn't mind dissecting one of those to see how it works.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tom62

Quote from: Randy on December 25, 2020, 02:53:49 PM
Do you think it was easy to take apart Billy and put back together? I wouldn't mind dissecting one of those to see how it works.

Taking Billy apart and put him back together can't be that easy  ;).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Quote from: Tom62 on December 25, 2020, 08:40:22 PM

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

i dont remember the mechanism but i think it had a little crank up itz hiney that wound a rubber band.

made of mylar over a frame, i think. bright colors

heavens i believe this was it? or one like it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GqWkctx3Z2I

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

Quote from: Tom62 on December 25, 2020, 08:40:22 PM

Yeah you're right. Just take him apart and see what makes him tick.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin