News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Atheist author looking for a meeting of the minds.

Started by Lala, December 18, 2020, 02:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Look what I just found: https://www.tentoughproblems.com/writersgroup/

It's an atheist writers group (but not specifically fiction) started by an ex-preacher.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on December 19, 2020, 02:37:39 AM

It's an atheist writers group (but not specifically fiction) started by an ex-preacher.

Good find!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

LifeisSweet

Welcome Lala,

Atheism can be a rather unpopular belief depending on where you live.  When I declared myself an atheist in New Jersey over 50 years ago I was scared to death to tell anyone for fear of family shame and public excommunication.  With the exception of some intelligent friends I pretty much kept in the closet.  Over the past couple of decades, however, I said screw it, I am proud to be an atheist and anyone who is upset by this, well that's their problem.

I now live in the bible belt of southwestern Virginia where most atheists remain discrete.  I don't preach, wear a sign or fly a bumper sticker, but will not shy away if asked about my religion.  Surprisingly I have not had any issues.  While many people here are very devout, most are also very friendly and accepting.  We have some fanatical Baptists and rednecks but I tend to avoid them anyhow.  I don't fear any physical confrontations at all.

My late wife of 24 years was a devout Catholic, and my current wife is very spiritual, but we accept our individual rights to be ourselves and it has not been an issue in our relationships.  To me the belief in gods and spirits falls into the same category as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny so it just doesn't occupy much of my brain time, except for amusement!  Still it would be fun to have a good open-kimono debate once in a while!  ;D
"When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not." Epicurus

Randy

Quote from: LifeisSweet on December 19, 2020, 04:57:16 PM
Welcome Lala,

Atheism can be a rather unpopular belief depending on where you live.  When I declared myself an atheist in New Jersey over 50 years ago I was scared to death to tell anyone for fear of family shame and public excommunication.  With the exception of some intelligent friends I pretty much kept in the closet.  Over the past couple of decades, however, I said screw it, I am proud to be an atheist and anyone who is upset by this, well that's their problem.

I now live in the bible belt of southwestern Virginia where most atheists remain discrete.  I don't preach, wear a sign or fly a bumper sticker, but will not shy away if asked about my religion.  Surprisingly I have not had any issues.  While many people here are very devout, most are also very friendly and accepting.  We have some fanatical Baptists and rednecks but I tend to avoid them anyhow.  I don't fear any physical confrontations at all.

My late wife of 24 years was a devout Catholic, and my current wife is very spiritual, but we accept our individual rights to be ourselves and it has not been an issue in our relationships.  To me the belief in gods and spirits falls into the same category as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny so it just doesn't occupy much of my brain time, except for amusement!  Still it would be fun to have a good open-kimono debate once in a while!  ;D
I am in the middle of the bible belt also. I don't give anyone who preaches the time of day anymore. I don't give deities a second thought really and one would think in my condition I'd be reaching for a godly hand. Nope. Now Santa I believe in.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

Quote from: Randy on December 19, 2020, 05:14:40 PM
I am in the middle of the bible belt also. I don't give anyone who preaches the time of day anymore. I don't give deities a second thought really and one would think in my condition I'd be reaching for a godly hand. Nope. Now Santa I believe in.

well, in my opinion you have a better foundation to assert skepticism than most people.

i'd be inviting the southern baptist door knockers in to explain to me what they had that was relevant. once or twice anyway.

th eold approach is typically you-are-being-tested-in this-life-to-determione-your-worthiness-for-the-next, and it is so contradictory to the prosperity and health gospel that evangelical protestants typically provide that i woul dbe interested to hear their reconciliation.

i won't presume to offer a suggestion as to how you might resp[ond to them.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Sandra Craft

One of my skeptical friends has been in a couple of writing groups where religious beliefs (or lack of them) were not a problem.  Both were on-line groups, which I'm thinking may make a difference.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Lala

Thank you so much! I will check this out!

Appreciate everyone's welcome. It means a lot. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Tank

Quote from: Lala on December 27, 2020, 04:36:27 PM

Thank you so much! I will check this out!

Appreciate everyone's welcome. It means a lot. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Sandra is a book fiend and if she couldn't find something it probably doesn't exist :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Lala

Quote from: Sandra Craft on December 20, 2020, 12:56:27 AM
One of my skeptical friends has been in a couple of writing groups where religious beliefs (or lack of them) were not a problem.  Both were on-line groups, which I'm thinking may make a difference.

I've had issues with a couple of in-person writing groups that were headed by devout Christians in conservative communities. One of them routinely mocked atheists until I identified myself as one. An immediate chill filled the room after that and it never left. In another group, atheist literary themes were banned. The rule of thumb was that nothing could be shared or submitted for critique that could make the pastor's grandmother blush. haha I didn't get upset. i exited the group and moved on because there are some fights that aren't worth engaging in. Some groups become toxic. It can happen in non religious groups, too.

Regardless, I will find the right writers' group for me.

Skepticelt

Welcome I look forward to some lively exchange of skeptical views. I have written a few poems of that nature. I am retired and live in Michigan.