News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

"Money buys Freedom but not always happiness?"

Started by Curt, December 13, 2020, 03:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curt

I had an interesting discussion with a family member that you could buy freedom but not always happiness. I guess my take would be that this is at least partially true. From my personal experience I can buy plenty of things that are fun. Great vacation or experience that I really enjoy and had a lot of fun doing. Or an item i really enjoy. Not sure once these experiences are over im happy though. Guess I have good fun / happy memories to remember and smile about. Guess the other question would be if you are having fun are you happy? Are they one in the same thing?

I would relate this to drinking by saying when I go to a great party I have fun in the moment.

I would agree 100 percent that money buys freedom. Ive been poor earlier in my life and now I would say im comfortably middle class. Its no fun to be living paycheck to paycheck and worrying how you can put food on the table and pay the bills. Stuck in a job you hate because you have really no choice because you need the money. Money gives you the freedom to not worry about a lot of different things and pursue your hobbies and passions that you truly enjoy. Cant do that if your working 60 hours a week to survive

So any thoughts on "Money buys Freedom but not always happiness?"

Randy

I think it is only if one has enough money to buy it. As you pointed out that you were poor and stuck in a job you hated.

I was poor with a wife and two children and worked my way well into middle class. I always had money. I didn't always like changes in management with a company as it usually was a disaster. Buying my freedom from that wouldn't happen unless I made enough to quit.

But I did escape often to the beach or the mountains taking a few days off of work throughout the year. It bought me that kind of freedom. I didn't feel like I was trapped.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Money may not buy happiness, but it can certainly mitigate a lot of misery.  ;D I was so broke that I could barely pay attention for many years of my life, but I wasn't unhappy, per se. I still believed in the old Horatio Alger work ethic. I managed to stay healthy enough, with a couple of detours, to live to retire. Now, I am retired and have enough to live on plus a little for my sons, unless I spend it on fast cars.  ::)  A person is only as unhappy as they want to be. I don't need to drink to be happy or have a good time, though both have had some overlap in the past.

Old Seer

When money was invented it became worth everything.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Curt

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 13, 2020, 03:40:54 AM
Money may not buy happiness, but it can certainly mitigate a lot of misery.

My thoughts exactly.  Avoiding pain is just as important as finding pleasure!

Icarus

One of the Wags I used to know claimed: "Money is not everything but it is way ahead of whatever is in second place".  We could make that case for happiness, if happiness is never accompanied by physical discomfort like hunger or absence of shelter.

Tank

If you think money can't buy you happiness you have never bought a dog.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Money does not buy freedom if you become a slave to the money. My brother for instance, has so much money he doesn't know what to do with it all, but he doesn't spend it on things that make him happy, instead he focuses on accumulating more and more. And that's about all he does with his life. He is one of the least happy people I know, and has been treating his depression for many years without positive results. :(

On the other hand, I know people who are poor but genuinely happy. I know I was generally happier when I had less money to spend, even if paying the bills was an epic monthly struggle. I still don't make a lot of money but I like what I do, so there's that.  ;D I think there are plenty of factors that go hand in hand with being poor that make people unhappy or stress them out to the point of misery. Like working a job they hate just to pay the pills.

Reminds me of what someone once told me: you can work a job you hate but pays well and you'll be unhappy everyday of the month minus payday. You can do what you love and not make a lot of money and you'll be unhappy on payday. The lucky ones get the best of both options.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Bad Penny II

I once said to my father I'm hungry.
He said you've never been hungry.

There is this thing.

I can't abide the pointy end ponces.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 28, 2020, 12:45:24 PM
I once said to my father I'm hungry.
He said you've never been hungry.

There is this thing.

I can't abide the pointy end ponces.

Pfft...everyone knows that isn't correct. See the correct version of Maslow's Pyramid of needs:

Icarus