News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

My gun

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, October 09, 2020, 03:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on February 18, 2021, 02:21:29 AM
5/16-inch at 50 yards is way impressive. i couldn't do that with a bazooka.

sandra, in most self-defense situations match-quality aim isn't really an issue, because things are very close. if it isn't close it's not self-defense. if you do decide to pick up the option again, there are classes available that can re-acquaint you with what is available these days and also give you insight on legal responsibilities.

No, 5/16" at 50 feet. Though I have seen where some guys are able to make two shots at each target and have the hole appear to be single. One of my younger brothers was capable of that, with some amount of regularity. There are competitions for that, but I'm not interested in spending the kind of money involved to do it. One time we (one of my brothers, one of my sons, and I) were at a gun range and some guy had some expensive rifle, scope and gear and was shooting at a steel gong at 400 yards. He was sprinkling all around it. My brother pulled out his .44 Mag pistol and nailed that target. That poor guy just packed up his stuff and left. :lol: That guy just needed some training and education. Just spending money for high end gear doesn't make a marksman. I've seen people who are "natural" shooters, but most people need a bit (or a lot) of coaching to be proficient. I went through the NRA Range Officer (Rifle and Shotgun) training course in '92 so that I could help my boys learn to shoot, and run the ranges. They were in the Boy Scouts at the time. My shooting skills improved quite a bit with that training.

billy rubin

i do not consider a reduction from fifty yards to fifty feet significant when we're talking about a 5/16-inch target.

i could not see a 5/16 target at fifty feet, much less come close to it with a bullet.

i am still impressed.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on February 18, 2021, 03:40:29 AM
i do not consider a reduction from fifty yards to fifty feet significant when we're talking about a 5/16-inch target.

i could not see a 5/16 target at fifty feet, much less come close to it with a bullet.

i am still impressed.

Well, I WAS using a scope, that has to count for something. I'm going to the ophthalmologist soon for a new eyeglass prescription that will allow me to shoot that well with open sights again. Maybe.

Though I guess that the 5/16" Vs 15/16" bullseye is kind of meaningless when one is shooting at center of mass in self defense. In my case, paper doesn't shoot back. Having an adversary similarly  equipped as myself would reduce my marksmanship, I can assure you. The military used enfilade fire for a reason, though snipers have gained some "recent" notoriety.

Icarus

We Americans have a long term love affair with guns.  Possibly because the pioneers used long guns to kill game for subsistence, not sport.  To our discredit we also used guns to kill lots of native Americans. 

Back in the day....not too far back, it was not uncommon to have shooting galleries in the edges of business districts.  Those were small spaces with some sort of projectile barrier behind the targets. The rifles were almost always 22s using 22 short ammunition.  The patron paid  somewhere between 10 and 25 cents for 5 or 10 shots at a target or sometimes beer bottles or tin cans.  If the shooter hit the targets the specified number of times out of 5 or 10, he won a prize of some sort.  These were popular places when year end holidays drew near. The prize was often a turkey.  Think depression days and you can imagine how tempting it was to try to win a holiday bird for only a few pennies.

In the not so distant past, often there were shooting galleries that traveled with carnivals.  The Carnie setup usually had some steel plates to erect at the back of the long tent.  The bullets would cause a ringing noise when it hit the steel plate.  That sound would attract more shooters to the gallery.   The amazing thing is that there was almost never any problem with bystanders being shot or injured from wayward bullets or having some crazy dude going berserk. Just didn't happen.

I suspect that Papacito Bruno can attest to the madness in parts of Michigan when deer season arrives. There seems to be a deer slaying disease that actually causes some small manufacturing plants to close for a few days so that the "hunters" could haul ass to northern Michigan forests in search of Bambi. That is not a disease exclusive to Michigan.  We have deer here in Florida.  There are two hunting seasons. The first one is for Bow Hunters only.  After that the gun season opens with the bow hunters safely gone home.  I have little patience with gunner deer hunters and no patience at all for bow hunters.  I do admire the bow hunters skill but I cannot get my mind wrapped around the bow kill that usually has to track the wounded animal and wait for it to bleed to death. I reckon that some of the animals with 30-06 wounds do not die immediately either. ...................

Way back in time, the Indian fighting wars advantaged the Indians. They could get off six or more arrows while the invaders were reloading their damned flintlocks or other single shot rifles. Samuel Colt and a few other inventive guys developed repeater handguns and rifles.  Game over.  The Indians lose now....... And here we are in a society who has far more guns than there are people.

Disclosure: I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge.  It has never been fired and I hope there is never any reason to do so.  Locked in a drawer is a Hi Standard long barreled revolver.  I never want to fire that one either.   

billy rubin

icarus, ididn't even know high standard ever made revolvers. the old mossberg 500 is a standard gun out here for shooting deer. can't use any rifles except straight sided cartridges, so people use the 12 ga slugs. id love to buy an older winchester someday, but i'm not much of a hunter.

i used to o5wn a ruger security six 357 that i bought for hunting javelinas in arizona. javelinas are so blind you can only hunt them legally with a handgun or bow. never went hunting thoough. it was nice because it was stainless and i could wash it in a dishwasher.

i like guns because im always interested in specialized mechanisms. racing motorcycles, antique pocket watches, bicycle deraillures, clocks, music boxes, that sort of stuff. i gave my number two son a simple flintlock pistol kit back when he was 13 or 14.  those pistols themselves are wo5rks of art

not hard to put together and finish, and so cumbersome to load that it isn't something that you can become distracted from, so they're much safer for kids than a revolver or semiauto

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Billy we are afflicted with the same sort of disease. I am also thrilled with mechanisms that do some operation, or in some cases, no operation at all. 

My father was a master machinist who also had a sense of humor.  He used to make a little toy that he called a Bullshit grinder.  It was a flat plate with two tee slots at right angles to one another. Like a cross.  The slots would have a fitted sliding part in each of the tee slots. The sliding parts were attached to a flat bar, a handle, with a knob at the end. The handle  extended over the edges of the flat plate.  Turning the handle would cause the sliding parts to cross over one another in a fascinating way and the knob end of the handle would describe a perfect ellipse.

He also made some things that he called a "bull cinch".  That was a ten inch ring of stainless steel rod with the end welded shut.  The ring had a sliding part that might be imagined as a key on a key ring. The sliding part (key) was a single shaft of stainless with a reverse element that made the sliding part resemble a huge fish hook.  The use of the thing was explained. thus"  "You jam the hook up a bulls ass and toss the ring over a fence post. Then;  "it  is a cinch that the bull ain't going anywhere".

I suspect that Tank, DL, JJ and others could easily make a bullshit grinder from wood. It could be both pretty and functional.  If a person begins to tell too many lies, then break out the grinder  and make a few turns of the handle.

OOOPS!  Unintentional derail. It is all Billy's fault.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on February 20, 2021, 01:17:57 AM
Billy we are afflicted with the same sort of disease. I am also thrilled with mechanisms that do some operation, or in some cases, no operation at all. 

My father was a master machinist who also had a sense of humor.  He used to make a little toy that he called a Bullshit grinder.  It was a flat plate with two tee slots at right angles to one another. Like a cross.  The slots would have a fitted sliding part in each of the tee slots. The sliding parts were attached to a flat bar, a handle, with a knob at the end. The handle  extended over the edges of the flat plate.  Turning the handle would cause the sliding parts to cross over one another in a fascinating way and the knob end of the handle would describe a perfect ellipse.

He also made some things that he called a "bull cinch".  That was a ten inch ring of stainless steel rod with the end welded shut.  The ring had a sliding part that might be imagined as a key on a key ring. The sliding part (key) was a single shaft of stainless with a reverse element that made the sliding part resemble a huge fish hook.  The use of the thing was explained. thus"  "You jam the hook up a bulls ass and toss the ring over a fence post. Then;  "it  is a cinch that the bull ain't going anywhere".

I suspect that Tank, DL, JJ and others could easily make a bullshit grinder from wood. It could be both pretty and functional.  If a person begins to tell too many lies, then break out the grinder  and make a few turns of the handle.

OOOPS!  Unintentional derail. It is all Billy's fault.

Further derail. I'm going to think about this, and maybe even make a grinder. If someone wants to do the jamming, I'll just watch. You do that to 1/2 ton of angry pot roast, you may get what you asked for. Special thanks to Professor Tom Lehrer for the "1/2 ton of angry pot roast".

This pretty racist, but also kind of funny-

https://genius.com/Tom-lehrer-in-old-mexico-lyrics

billy rubin

i remember bullshit grinders

they used to sell little tiny ones at the stuckey's highway tourist traps, thoseplaces that sold souvenir spoons and giant spun sugar lollipops

i do s NOt rememebr bull cinces and frankly i would hesitata to stick anything up a bulls ass

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

ive never seen one this elaborate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Y7TEAK4ao

make sure you wait for the end

Icarus

Dammit Billy, now I may have to build one like that.  The handle end of that thing must describe some interesting geometric traces. 

I confess that I am captivated by the tracings of a Spiragraph toy.  Well it is not a toy if you are into that sort of thing.

billy rubin

i looked at the animation again more clisely

the shuttle actually only traverses the two slots at right anes, so its really the same as a square one. i thought it was an escalation but i was wrong

Ecurb Noselrub

My Gun (to the tune of "My Girl")

I've got bullets, for a crazy day
I've got ammo, for what comes my way

I guess you say
What can make me feel this way?
My gun, talkin' 'bout my gun (my gun)

When it's nuts outside, I'm safe within
When they storm D.C., I'm armed in my den

I guess you say

Sorry, I don't know what came over me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 22, 2021, 03:33:41 PM
My Gun (to the tune of "My Girl")

I've got bullets, for a crazy day
I've got ammo, for what comes my way

I guess you say

When it's nuts outside, I'm safe within
When they storm D.C., I'm armed in my den

I guess you say

Sorry, I don't know what came over me.

:popcorn: Now to Black Eyed Peas' My Humps!

Whatcha gonna do with all that junk
All that junk inside your trunk
Imma get get get get you drunk
Get you love drunk with my gun
My gun my gun my gun my gun my gun
My gun my gun my gun my lovely little guns
Check it out
I got a semi in my 'Rari
Tactical Benelli for the party
They treat me really nicely
buy me all these nice things
Glock Ges and Beretta