News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

My gun

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, October 09, 2020, 03:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

My wife was always against me having a hand gun, so I never pressed the issue.  However, with the rise of militia groups loyal to Trump, she has changed her mind and has no problem with me having one.  This was emphasized by the plot by a right-wing fringe group to kidnap and execute the governor of Michigan (which Trump has yet to criticize or condemn).  So now I have a Glock 9mm, as well as a single shot .22 rifle.  Not much against the AR15s that are common in my state, but at least I can fire back.  This is the first time I've felt concerned about the reaction to an election, and now that Trump is going off the rails and Trump Brown Shirts are parading in the streets with flags on their trucks, I'm getting a bit nervous. Trump is now calling for Biden to be indicted.  Can you say "Banana Republic"?  This is going to get nasty.

billy rubin

its a new experience for me to see an elected leader disregard the democratic process so publicly.

i hate nazi comparisons byt i keep thinkinh of 1930s germany too.

it does look like he will lose the election.  whether he chooses to try to cancel the results tbrough civil unrest is a big question.  hes very clear that he is willing to try.

i keep weapons in the house because i live in an isolated oocation in the country, but im having a hard time envisioning an armed rebellion. we have millions of trained veterans in the country now but most of the militia people juzt appear to be idiots with guns- no training or clear goals

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on October 09, 2020, 04:17:17 PM
we have millions of trained veterans in the country now but most of the militia people juzt appear to be idiots with guns- no training or clear goals
It's the idiots that worry me the most. They aren't trained and could fire at the slightest provocation.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

jumbojak

Now that you own a gun you have to train to use it. Dry fire until you are very comfortable handling it and then head to the range, with ear protection. Some qualified instruction would go a long way as well.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

OMAsmo>:(
This is why I gotta get me a gun too!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

SIZ and I got sideways many months ago when I made a comment about bilirubin's concealed carriage of a firearm. I meant that comment as a poke at Billy, but it turned out pretty badly.  :-[  The republican party sells fear as a trade. It's spilling over onto those of us who don't generally have a fear for the government. In spite of how I feel about the NRA, I'd recommend finding an NRA certified firearms instructor to help with proper training on your new firearm. NB: I was an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor when my sons were in the Cub and Boy Scouts. Primary interest for me: SAFETY. I despise what the NRA has become, in regards to the politics. They used to be all about safety with firearms.

Icarus

Bruce I have a Jewish friend who almost never speaks. He lives in my bedroom and is very polite and unassuming.  On the other hand when he speaks, it is with a thunderous voice.  His name is Mossberg. His size is 12 gauge and his sputem is deadly when at short range.  He is more practical, but noisier, than a handgun because he needs not have so accurate an aim to spread his most convincing persuasion. My friend is an unusual character because he has a pistol grip and has a pump action. He can speak six times in rapid succession. That is almost surely enough of his voice.

For longer range I kind of think that a rifle would be more appropriate....say a 30-06 or similar.  A 22 hornet would also be a useful and practical tool for the better half. It does not kick much but it is most persuasive when in a critical life threatening situation which is an absolute unbelievable situation in our formerly peaceful, cooperative,  and law abiding society.

My take on the "terrorist" situation is to capture them, castrate them so that their testosterone level might be drastically diminished such that they are no longer likely to be dangerous stupid dregs of the human sort. .

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 10, 2020, 02:54:37 AM
SIZ and I got sideways many months ago when I made a comment about bilirubin's concealed carriage of a firearm. I meant that comment as a poke at Billy, but it turned out pretty badly.  :-[  The republican party sells fear as a trade. It's spilling over onto those of us who don't generally have a fear for the government. In spite of how I feel about the NRA, I'd recommend finding an NRA certified firearms instructor to help with proper training on your new firearm. NB: I was an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor when my sons were in the Cub and Boy Scouts. Primary interest for me: SAFETY. I despise what the NRA has become, in regards to the politics. They used to be all about safety with firearms.

i dont remember that.

youcan poke me anytime you want.

not that way

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

well you know i said that the trumpanistas were mostly untrained fools. i think im going to have to take that back in light of the significant minority of people at theus capitol who seemed to know what they were doi g.

we ll have to see what trump does and to what extent there will be any continuation of civil unrest. i still carry a .380 in my pocket when i leave the house. not so much because of political issues but just because i live in a dangerous country.

better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

what a country.

Anne D.

Boys and their fucking toys. You say "my gun," I read "my penis." Whatever. Like you need a fucking gun. Grow up. Get a baseball bat.

Anne D.

You hunt, fine. Otherwise, give it up.

No one

This is my rifle
This is my gun
This is for fighting
This is for fun

Anne D.

Quote from: No one on February 14, 2021, 09:12:16 AM
This is my rifle
This is my gun
This is for fighting
This is for fun

Exactly

billy rubin

well, ive been too close too many shootings.

my cousin died with seven bullets in his back in a university conference room.

eight people died and 23 were shot in a town i used to live in, on streets i drove on every day.

three people were killed and 17 wounded at a garlic festival i used to attend.

a man two cars in front of me at a stoplight had his head blown off with a 12 gauge slug.

i have no problems with people who believe violence will never touch their lives.  my experience.has been different.