News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

And the Winners of the 2020 Ig Nobel Prizes are..

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 18, 2020, 02:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

QuoteHere's a full list of the 2020 Ig Nobel winners. Each winning team was given a cash prize - of a 10 trillion dollar bill from Zimbabwe.

For Acoustics: Stephan Reber, Takeshi Nishimura, Judith Janisch, Mark Robertson, and Tecumseh Fitch, for inducing a female Chinese alligator to bellow in an airtight chamber filled with helium-enriched air.

Psychology: Miranda Giacomin and Nicholas Rule, for devising a method to identify narcissists by examining their eyebrows.

Peace: The governments of India and Pakistan, for having their diplomats surreptitiously ring each other's doorbells in the middle of the night, and then run away before anyone had a chance to answer the door.

Physics: Ivan Maksymov and Andriy Pototsky, for determining, experimentally, what happens to the shape of a living earthworm when one vibrates the earthworm at high frequency.

Economics: Christopher Watkins and colleagues for trying to quantify the relationship between different countries' national income inequality and the average amount of mouth-to-mouth kissing.

Management: Xi Guang-An, Mo Tian-Xiang, Yang Kang-Sheng, Yang Guang-Sheng, and Ling Xian Si - five professional hitmen in Guangxi, China, who subcontracted a murder one to the other with none of them in the end actually carrying out the crime.

Entomology: Richard Vetter, for collecting evidence that many entomologists (scientists who study insects) are afraid of spiders, which are not insects.

Medical Education: Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom, Narendra Modi of India, Andrés Manuel López Obrador of Mexico, Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, Donald Trump of the USA, Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, Vladimir Putin of Russia, and Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow of Turkmenistan, for using the Covid-19 viral pandemic to teach the world that politicians can have a more immediate effect on life and death than scientists and doctors can.

Materials Science: Metin Eren, Michelle Bebber, James Norris, Alyssa Perrone, Ashley Rutkoski, Michael Wilson, and Mary Ann Raghanti, for showing that knives manufactured from frozen human faeces do not work well.

Special mention to the politicians and their management of the covid-19 health crisis!  :ppe: :clapping:

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54197198
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

:lol: "This knife is a real piece of crap!" I'm betting if the "ig" was printed lower case, the chump would hang the award on the brag wall in his office. "Here's my Nobel Peace Prize!" Even though it was awarded in the medical category!  :o

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Heh, I'm especially curious about the relationship between narcissism and

How does that even work? Are the best groomed eyebrows bound to belong to narcissists? Sounds a bit like phrenology, but for facial hair.  :???: Is the overuse of eyebrows to express one's most inner subconscious thoughts indicative of rampant narcissism?  ;D  I'll have to look up that study!  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

Okay, making knives out of frozen dead faeces is really out there!
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

Eyebrows are expressive. In this case subtle movements of the mouth may also suggest of the intent of the model. Notice the sideways movement of the head.  That plays into the general impression.  These facial mini contortions would get that woman into trouble at a bar scene with either gender.  :yum: etc.

Please to forgive the DOM assessment of the facial expressions. 

billy rubin

peter freuchen hacked his way out of a frozen ice cave with an ice turd.

so tbey have some limited uze.

but that guy makez chuck norris look like a wimp.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."