News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Poe, or Genuine?

Started by Recusant, September 02, 2020, 08:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I had not heard of "Christians Against Dinosaurs" before reading the story below.

"Christian Group Seeks Removal Of Dinosaur From Tucson McDonald's" | Patch

First, I was going to be unreasonably optimistic and call "Poe" on this one. Then I thought about it and realized that if I put a bet on it, I'd rather bet that it's genuine fundamentalist crank. That way, if I lost the bet I'd have the consolation that at least despair for the species wasn't confirmed in this instance. If I won, at least I'd get a few spondulicks out of the hypothetical wreckage of my hopes for humanity.

I then did some further research and I now think the evidence points to a parody. However, it has attracted true believers.  :headshake:

"Poes, Trolls, and Dinosaur Deniers" | Skeptic

"'Christians Against Dinosaurs' Target Arizona McDonald's T. rex Replica | Friendly Atheist

There are other sources (mostly extended head-scratching exercises), but I thought the clues laid out in the Skeptic piece lined up fairly conclusively.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Randy

Now what have the dinosaurs done to them? They've been dead for 65 million years give or take so it's not like they can do much.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

Beware of Kooks, they are dangerous, not merely stupid.

Old Seer

Quote from: Icarus on September 03, 2020, 05:20:35 AM
Beware of Kooks, they are dangerous, not merely stupid.
I'm a kook to both sides, Atheists and religions alike.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on September 02, 2020, 08:51:55 AM
Poe, or Genuine?

Let me ask 8-Ball.

8-Ball says 'yes'. Not very helpful I'm afraid.  :-\
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey