News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Some thoughts on racism

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, July 29, 2020, 03:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Indeed. You can alter the schedule both ways on many occasions; think of that lung cancer sufferer from above. He could jump off somewhere high onto something hard, accelerating "the schedule," or he could do all sorts of surgery and medication and postpone the due date.

Oh, he'll die eventually, but that just speaks to the inevitability of death - not it's equalizing attributes. Yeah, everyone dies... Each in his own way.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Created equal, IMHO, refers to equal before the law and equal in value. You have no more nor fewer rights than the next person under the law. Slavery, for example, gave blacks fewer rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness than whites had. Therefore, it was inconsistent with the idea of equality.

Of course, I am not equal in basketball ability to Lebron James or acting ability to Tom Hanks. But we all should stand equally before the law, as citizens of equal worth.

Recusant

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 31, 2022, 10:05:08 PMCreated equal, IMHO, refers to equal before the law and equal in value. You have no more nor fewer rights than the next person under the law. Slavery, for example, gave blacks fewer rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness than whites had. Therefore, it was inconsistent with the idea of equality.

Of course, I am not equal in basketball ability to Lebron James or acting ability to Tom Hanks. But we all should stand equally before the law, as citizens of equal worth.

Indeed and well said, Ecurb Noselrub. Other values for "equality" can be contentious, but the concept existing as a supposed guiding legal principle of government in the US and elsewhere is unequivocal.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 31, 2022, 10:05:08 PMCreated equal, IMHO, refers to equal before the law and equal in value. You have no more nor fewer rights than the next person under the law. Slavery, for example, gave blacks fewer rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness than whites had. Therefore, it was inconsistent with the idea of equality.

Well said.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 31, 2022, 10:05:08 PMOf course, I am not equal in basketball ability to Lebron James or acting ability to Tom Hanks. But we all should stand equally before the law, as citizens of equal worth.
That was the point I made when using legal equality in my initial answer to myself. Well, not the "equal value/worth" part, because... It's just not, by any sort of measurable criteria I can think of.

The law, however, should not be written to discriminate lords from peasants or men from women or such like. Children... Probably a necessary exception.

I see equality under the law to mean that whatever provisions apply to me, apply to every other citizen. Whatever rights I have - they have. Whatever obligations I have to the nation - they have.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Critical Race Theory is just plain bonkers.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

would youse please define critical race tbeory for me?

i do not understand what it is.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

Critical Race Theory. If you're white, you're racist.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

Only one race of people mucking about on the planet's face, the hooman one.

Icarus

Quote from: MarcusA on June 23, 2023, 08:25:03 PMCritical Race Theory is just plain bonkers.

I do not believe that you are in a position to comment on the American concept of CRT.

I presume that you have your own position with regard to the "aboes". I am not in a position to comment about Aussie Attitudes toward your Aboriginals. Therefore I will not comment about your countries historic treatment of the indigenous people.

How about you lighten up with the one liners.  Instead, try to carry on a meaningful conversation with the rest of us.?  Not many of us are interested and some of us,including me, are annoyed by your continuous inconsequential posts. For the record we have some other Aussie members who contribute to our little group in an interesting or useful way. To their credit they do not tend to dominate the entire forum.  Surely you can participate in a normal fashion as well.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on June 24, 2023, 03:31:38 AM
Quote from: MarcusA on June 23, 2023, 08:25:03 PMCritical Race Theory is just plain bonkers.

I do not believe that you are in a position to comment on the American concept of CRT.

I presume that you have your own position with regard to the "aboes". I am not in a position to comment about Aussie Attitudes toward your Aboriginals. Therefore I will not comment about your countries historic treatment of the indigenous people.

How about you lighten up with the one liners.  Instead, try to carry on a meaningful conversation with the rest of us.?  Not many of us are interested and some of us,including me, are annoyed by your continuous inconsequential posts. For the record we have some other Aussie members who contribute to our little group in an interesting or useful way. To their credit they do not tend to dominate the entire forum.  Surely you can participate in a normal fashion as well.

Indeed.

MarcusA

In life, everything is related to me.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Icarus on June 24, 2023, 03:31:38 AM

I agree, his posts have the same value as a random nonsense generator, in the absence of real discussion they may start something. They must make the forum look a bloody mess, a spammer wouldn't have been allowed to do what he is doing.